• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MITES!!! help! On assassin bugs!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, I got a new group of Pystella horrida spiny king assassins, I noticed them leg flicking and twitching, on closer inspection I see very tiny mites, like the size of grain mites, what on Earth can I do to safely..for ME and them...remove them? Is there something I can paint on the bugs? I saw the piece of beef trick here but are they feeding on the bugs themselves, should I destroy group, 2 nymphs arrived thin and not 100% and three healthy adults, maybe remove the nymph? Would they transfer to my Ts???
Thanks for any help.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Never tried it with assassin bugs but put them in a container with nothing in there. Place a carrot inside and see if the the mites go to the carrot. The meat thing might not work because the assassin bugs will just start feeding off it.
Oh excellent thank you SO much, these bugs are awesome, I’ll try that tomorrow morning and let you know, I did add a little porridge oats and dried rice, just for the springtails to feed off but of course that’s ideal grain mite food too,
I’ll try the carrot trick that’s amazing, thank you so much for telling me. I wondered if I could paint something on the bugs too? Even a drop of dish detergent in water?
I’ll try the carrot first though, cheers!!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh excellent thank you SO much, these bugs are awesome, I’ll try that tomorrow morning and let you know, I did add a little porridge oats and dried rice, just for the springtails to feed off but of course that’s ideal grain mite food too,
I’ll try the carrot trick that’s amazing, thank you so much for telling me. I wondered if I could paint something on the bugs too? Even a drop of dish detergent in water?
I’ll try the carrot first though, cheers!!!
I'm curious to see if the mites will leave the host for the moisture in the carrot. Never tried it with assassin bugs before...works with tarantulas though.

Latest posts