• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mite Question

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey ya'll

I have been finding the odd mite from time to time. I look for them but don't see any in any of my enclosures. But When I get them off the shelf to feed and what not, I find a mite roaming, so far just on the outside of the enclosure. I'm guessing there are some in the enclosure. Is this normal? do I need to do a big clean? Whats the verdict?

Thanks.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but are you sure it is a mite and not one of several types of substrate flies or a springtail? I apologize if you already know the difference, but I've found that some people don't.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Its normal to have some mites if you have some species kept quite moist. They are actually quite a useful clean-up crew. Only once the numbers are very high can they become a pest.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Its normal to have some mites if you have some species kept quite moist. They are actually quite a useful clean-up crew. Only once the numbers are very high can they become a pest.
Are you talking about parasitic mites here, or harmless detrivore substrate flies?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I spotted a couple of small substrate flies in the room where I keep my enclosures, are they an issue?
No. They are harmless detrivores, and the same conditions that are good for our spiders are good for them. They come from the surrounding environment and colonize the hospitable environments that we create for our pets.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but are you sure it is a mite and not one of several types of substrate flies or a springtail? I apologize if you already know the difference, but I've found that some people don't.
Well....All I know is that it was a little whiteish bug crawling on the outside of the enclosure...I don't really know how to tell.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Well....All I know is that it was a little whiteish bug crawling on the outside of the enclosure...I don't really know how to tell.
That sounds like a springtail. A pic could help be sure. Mites are usually black or reddish and appear more round and almost mini-spider-like in appearance. Springtails are harmless detrivores. They are there to clean up the place.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
That sounds like a springtail. A pic could help be sure. Mites are usually black or reddish and appear more round and almost mini-spider-like in appearance. Springtails are harmless detrivores. They are there to clean up the place.
Species of mite that are found around tarantulas are also white.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
If it was slightly elongated then it was most likely a springtail. Mites are more round. I will have a look in my enclosures and post a couple of photos of each if I can find some.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are indeed white mites. But as stated Frank, don't sweat it until you see a bunch. They usually congregate around water dishes, boli, or moist sub.
alright man sounds good! that's what I was figuring. I let all of mine dry out for like a week after I mist them. The spiders seem to be ok with it. Even the more humid loving species, like my P. metallica, and P.irmina....

Latest posts