• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mice

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I can't remember who it was who said that they were going to clean out their linen closet to house their tarantulas in there, but I thought it was an awesome idea! So, I decided that was what I was going to do today. And I found evidence of mice in there.
I live in a very old, low-rise apartment building. Four stories high and I'm at the top. I love it here, but it is a very old building - probably built in the 40's or 50's. Great when you can find one in Toronto because they are HUGE compared to newer buildings. My apartment is a one bedroom and it is probably about 850 sq/ft. The newer buildings are 500 sq/ft if you are very lucky.
Recently, one of my cats - Nigel - has been spending lots of time in front of the linen closet door and wants to get in there every time I open it. I had noticed that there seemed to be a breeze coming from inside at the bottom. I have mostly storage and cleaning stuff on the bottom shelf and don't go much beyond what is right at the front. Part of the wall had given way and someone had put styrofoam in front of it. Well, I should really pay attention to what Nigel tells me because he is the killer of my three boys. The other two don't have a prey drive to save their lives, but Nigel makes up for that. Lots of mouse poo and and a half eaten old bar of soap that got left behind back there.
I have gone through a full roll of aluminum foil plugging up the holes and taping it all over the inside of the bottom shelf. I found a bit of mouse poo on the second shelf, but they don't seem to have gone beyond that level. No evidence on the third or fourth shelves at all.
You must be asking yourself why I don't get someone it to fix it permanently? My landlord is a creepy guy and I hate having them in this apartment at all. He hates my cats and I wouldn't put it passed him to do something to them. It was easier for me to do it myself today. No more breeze can be felt, so I think I have succeeded in plugging it up.
And I am out of pear cider.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Get a sheet of thin tin honey. You can cut it with regular shears then tack it up over what you've done. My house is only a couple years old but the closet is tiny (it was me BTW) anyhow now thinking of using my closet in addition as it a double door type so much larger.
image.jpeg