• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mexican Red Knee Query

Malcspring

Hi folks,
As a newbie tarantula keeper I have loads of questions, many of which have been answered.
Right now my tarantula has not eaten for maybe 2 weeks. I've had it for 10 days and prior to that the guy at the shop said that it was fed maybe 5 or 7 days before that.
I've tried feeding it again today with a locust, but it is not interested. I dropped the locust right in front of it, but no joy.
I've also recently transferred it to a larger vivarium. I don't know if that has unsettled it?
I have a heat mat attached to the rear of the tank and I have created a little den for it.
It has burrowed down right next to the heat mat and is right up against it.
Being a newbie I don't know what is normal behaviour?
Thanks for any hints and info.
Malc

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
we need more information.Size of the spider?
Pictures of the enclosure.
Usually tarantula not eating is rarely a concern. Just make sure it has full waterdish and water available.
I feed mine (4,5 - 5 inch)once a month atm as she is coming for a moult soon I hope and not very keen on eating.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Also you don't need the heat matt now.I will recommend to unplug it altogether Its warm enough in UK atm.18-33 °C if the temperature I keep mine at depending on season and I don't use heat mats.
Regards Konstantin

Malcspring

Hi Konstantin,
Thanks for your reply. My spider is a young juvenile.
It has yet to eat. I have just dropped a locust in front of it and it was backing away. It is also clinging onto the area of it's vivarium where the heat mat is which tells me it is trying to get warm?
The temp inside is in the region of 22 degrees.
The heat mat that I am using is the one that I bought to suit the tank that I got when I originally bought the spider. 3 weeks ago.
Since then I have upgraded the enclosure, so it has more space.
I have a thermostat controlling the mat, but with it on full it is struggling to get any higher than 22-23 degrees, so I've ordered a larger heat mat which will cover the back wall of the enclosure and hopefully I'll be able to get a little more heat which will be more controllable too.
Also are heat mats multi directional or do they need fitting to the tank in a certain way in order to get the heat radiating in a certain direction imo?
Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• PXL_20230518_103607863.jpg
    PXL_20230518_103607863.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20230520_205426884.jpg
    PXL_20230520_205426884.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Enclosure looks good.Only thing I will recommend is to add more substrate. You don't want that much head room with terrestrial species as if they fall they can injure themselves or worse. Same goes for handling your spider. They are unable to bond with you and get nothing from it.If your spider bolts while on your hand and falls it could end in tragedy.
Also tarantulas are drawn to heat most of the time but don't get wound up on it and strive to increase it to specific fugures..Mine are at 20°C atm and all of mine are comfortable and behave normally.
Tarantulas need time to adjust to their new home it can take weeks to months for larger specimens and wander a lot during that time.
Your spider looks plump enough and is no concern that is refusing food .Just keep offering once every 2-3weeks and remove pray if uneaten in 24h it will eat when it feels like it.
They are very good at preservation of energy and don't need food as often as other pets.You can try different pray item too.My picky eaters will only take brown crickets and nothing else.
Heat mats if used are placed always on the side(Never on bottom)and away from burrows and hides.Tarantulas will hide and burrow to escape heat and can cook themselves if heat mat is not properly placed.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
Enclosure looks good.Only thing I will recommend is to add more substrate. You don't want that much head room with terrestrial species as if they fall they can injure themselves or worse. Same goes for handling your spider. They are unable to bond with you and get nothing from it.If your spider bolts while on your hand and falls it could end in tragedy.
Also tarantulas are drawn to heat most of the time but don't get wound up on it and strive to increase it to specific fugures..Mine are at 20°C atm and all of mine are comfortable and behave normally.
Tarantulas need time to adjust to their new home it can take weeks to months for larger specimens and wander a lot during that time.
Your spider looks plump enough and is no concern that is refusing food .Just keep offering once every 2-3weeks and remove pray if uneaten in 24h it will eat when it feels like it.
They are very good at preservation of energy and don't need food as often as other pets.You can try different pray item too.My picky eaters will only take brown crickets and nothing else.
Heat mats if used are placed always on the side(Never on bottom)and away from burrows and hides.Tarantulas will hide and burrow to escape heat and can cook themselves if heat mat is not properly placed.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

Nicely put. Complete and succinct.

Latest posts