• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Metallic Pink Toe Versicolor

shaylapaul

3 Year Member
Hello,
Today my boyfriend and I received an order of 7 spiderlings. We now have 10 spideys. One of which was a Metallic Pink Toe Versicolor. We received him in a jar that had substrate and a moss of some sort. We are unsure of what the moss is. Do they need moss? I know they need things like cork bark or plants to climb. Can anyone recommend a moss that our versicolor will like or some other things that may be good for them to climb?
Thank you!

Realevil1

3 Year Member
Can you post a picture of its container so I can get a better idea of what your working with.. The easiest suggestion I can make for an arboreal sling like that is really just to put a plastic leaf, or cut a small junk of a fake plant. It will spin a web in the leaf or plant and hang out in there for a while till it molts again and gets bigger.

From what I gather Avic. and other arboreal slings just hide in plants that are low to the ground like small bushes, flowers, or bromeliads.

My 2nd suggestion :) buy a battery powered soldering iron like 20$ and go to walmart and buy the plastic spaghetti containers (see link below)

and then take your soldering iron and make air holes in the container.

037103221551_ca.jpg

upload_2014-9-26_12-7-27.jpeg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=L_CB6acH4lPqTM&tbnid=QZ22n8q0D7MzBM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Container-Store-Acrylic-Pasta-Canister/dp/B004T2Z6JK&ei=yaolVPePNYq5iwLT6IDgDw&bvm=bv.76247554,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNF0vB_9mURsSlzV4DF90XtIJINGZw&ust=1411841085127011

Realevil1

3 Year Member
I assume she means A. Versicolor, and as for the moss question, I find it better not to use moss when dealing with a species that likes humidity. In such a small space moss is more likely to grow mold and harbor bacteria in my opinion.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What the heck is a "Metallic Pink Toe Versicolor" ? The Metallic Pink Toe is Avicularia metallica and the Antilles Pink Toe is Avicularia versicolor. I'm not sure which one you have, because what you've done is basically take the common name of the A.metallica, and added the species name of the Antilles Pink Toe at the end.

Realevil1

3 Year Member
I think maybe the word mettalic may be being used as a description rather than a common name, hense the confusion.. as in mettalic color form, or mettalic morph or maybe it was labeled improperly.. It pretty obvious when the OP says Versicolor that that is the species they are referring to. In any case rather than give them a hard time, how about some genuine help and understanding.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Spaghnum moss or just regular terrarium moss works fine. I personally prefer the latter due to the green and brown coloration. A slab of cork bark leaned against one side of the terrarium usually does the trick but you may wish to include some plastic leaves or vines in there as well.

Realevil1

3 Year Member
As for my favorite moss hands down Zoomed new Zealand sphagnum moss
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/sub...rarium-moss-zid36-5147500/cat-36-catid-500013

smells nice and stays moist. Like all moss it can be messy, and gluing this into a Viv setup probably will not work

Says right on it that it can be rinsed and re-used though.
* (within reason I assume, don't use it for too long as it does, like any substrate, hold bacteria) *

Latest posts