• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Tallahassee, the jumping spider

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It has just arrived and is now frantically webbing its new home. It's a Phidippus regius about 1" dls

DSCF8065 (2).JPG

DSCF8074 (2).JPG

DSCF8072 (2).JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Beautiful. I try to handle every P audax I see, I even plant them in my closet and kitchen. Unfortunately they don't stick around, usually :( They might hang out on a window or something for awhile, but invariably they leave. Thats a good sized little beasty :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A better photo
DSCF8077 (2).JPG

Beautiful. I try to handle every P audax I see, I even plant them in my closet and kitchen. Unfortunately they don't stick around, usually :( They might hang out on a window or something for awhile, but invariably they leave. Thats a good sized little beasty :)

You're so lucky to be able to see them in the wild.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A better photo
View attachment 20891

You're so lucky to be able to see them in the wild.
They're very cool to watch. If you take a moth, or similar prey, and hold it by the wings with its feet kicking, about a foot away, they'll take it right out of your fingers. Their eyesight is far superior to our tarantulas. They jump and snatch it :) I wish they lived longer though. Cutest spiders around

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I held off from ordering one and I'm immediately regretting it! Soo cute! Am I right in saying that's a female? I may be wrong but I'm sure the males are black and green?

I was wondering if yours had arrived today. I can't believe you didn't get one after pointing them out to me.
I think you may be right that it's female, I think males are black and white. There's always the chance she could be gravid.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Love all the jumpers. Just a pinch jealous :)
Just a pinch? i'm greener than a male :p Love the jumpers. the P. audax we have here is just awesome, black and white with neon green highlights. I want to get a regius this spring, and there's another one i want, can't think of hte name off hand, orange and black colors, great eater i've read.

They're very cool to watch. If you take a moth, or similar prey, and hold it by the wings with its feet kicking, about a foot away, they'll take it right out of your fingers. Their eyesight is far superior to our tarantulas. They jump and snatch it :) I wish they lived longer though. Cutest spiders around
They have the most developed eyesight and hunting "brain" of all animals. They can see 360 deg by 180 deg, and have adapted that range of sight to know where the prey is even when it's behind something. And they know where and when it will come out the other side so to speak. They've taken hunting to a whole different level than any other living animal, even us.

Such fascinating little guys.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They have the most developed eyesight and hunting "brain" of all animals. They can see 360 deg by 180 deg, and have adapted that range of sight to know where the prey is even when it's behind something. And they know where and when it will come out the other side so to speak. They've taken hunting to a whole different level than any other living animal, even us.

Such fascinating little guys.

I think I'm going to enjoy watching this little one. I gave her 3 small crickets around an hour ago and I can't see any in there now
:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It was the worry of it dying quick, I'm a pansy that way lol! There's also another "spider" I'm considering just now too :) Has it jumped yet?

Yes, she's jumped a few times. She's been very active, checked out the whole container and done quite a bit of webbing. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Adorable! I'm gutted lol I suppose it's not too late... Love the name too :)

They still have some so it's not too late, get one ordered and you'd get it by Thursday. The packing was superb. She was in a 1" vial in paper towel inside a decent sized cardboard box filled with polystyrene packing beads and a heat pack that was still warm then that box was in another bigger cardboard box with more poly beads.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We get tons of the tiny ones here, they crawl all over you, I content myself with them but I am envious <3 beautiful little one :)

Latest posts