• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mature male T's and eating/appetite

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Ur thoughts and opinions.
All of my MM ts seem to eat ALOT less after they mature. Up until this point, they are ravenous, aggressive eaters and now they eat once a week at the very most. Sometimes longer. It seems odd to me this happens, but perhaps it's a normal thing? Maybe their consumed with finding a mate?
What do u guys n gals think?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had several mature males that never ate after their ultimate molt. My C. darlingi, Hapalopus sp. "Colombia", and A. seemanni never ate again (although I have no idea how long the seemanni was mature before I acquired him).

I'm pretty certain that my P. regalis took a couple crickets before going off feed all together. He definitely didn't eat much, though.

Currently, my Pamphobeteus sp. duran is eating here and there, but definitely not with the same consistency and enthusiasm he did before his final molt.

Ones that I noticed did eat when mature were my T. ockerti, P. crassipes, T. stirmi, O. violaceopes, and Euathlus sp. red. All of these guys continued to eat pretty well after getting their emboli.

I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Last edited:

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Same for me. What happened with my MM Chilobrachys sp vietnam blue is interesting: he stopped eating after the mature molt for weeks and weeks... Then he began to feed again. It's been more than one year know and he's still alive and kicking (as touchy as ever!), but hasn't had a new molt.

Nowadays, my MM Ceratogyrus has not eaten yet, two months after his final molt. But I keep trying. When there's no lady in sight, what can we do but eat anyway?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I currently have 4MMs and they are all still eating. They are P. irminia, N. incei, H. pulchripes and an H. sp Colombia klein although I have dropped them all down a cricket size.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
Totally normal for a MM to not eat, or eat very little. They have one thing on their mind: Mating. This is also why they can appear to be more defensive, and are more prone to try an escape the enclosure.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Totally normal for a MM to not eat, or eat very little. They have one thing on their mind: Mating. This is also why they can appear to be more defensive, and are more prone to try an escape the enclosure.
Am I the only one that gets really docile MMs? Every MM ive ever had was a sweetheart..maybe im just lucky. I've heard several people describe them as more aggressive or standoffish, I've found the opposite to be true..My females tend to be a bit more..tempermental though..lmao, human, arachnid, and canine as well..:)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Am I the only one that gets really docile MMs? Every MM ive ever had was a sweetheart..maybe im just lucky. I've heard several people describe them as more aggressive or standoffish, I've found the opposite to be true..My females tend to be a bit more..tempermental though..lmao, human, arachnid, and canine as well..:)
I have a very calm mm P metallica and an even more calm mm P cam.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
I've had two calm MMs, and that was an Aphonopelma hentzi and - I could hardly believe it - an A. geniculata. The other MMs I've had, such as P. irminia, P. cambridgei, A. ezendami, and K. brunnipes, were all much more defensive and prone to trying to bolt after maturing.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I've had two calm MMs, and that was an Aphonopelma hentzi and - I could hardly believe it - an A. geniculata. The other MMs I've had, such as P. irminia, P. cambridgei, A. ezendami, and K. brunnipes, were all much more defensive and prone to trying to bolt after maturing.
My MMs of G. pulchripes, B, vagans, B. albopilosum, B. smithi, B. emilia, B. klaasi, G. rosea, G. porteri, G. pulchra, G. Maule, G. North, and G. Concepcion eat and are very docile.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Here's my mm P cam. Literally as calm as my G porteri
IMG_5310.JPG