• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Managing moisture: humidity, misting and water dishes

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The purpose of this thread is to solicit feedback and share information about the moisture (water) needs of our Ts. We know different species have different requirements for hydration based on many factors, geo location, species-specific needs, etc., and then there is practical, common sense, ie; all living things on this planet need water.

It has been well established by many experts and authorities (ie; Stanley Schultz) that misting does very little to manage the moisture and humidity level in an enclosure unless you completely enclose it sealing off all ventilation, which isn't good. But besides strategically dropping water droplets into webbing for slings, I'd like to have a conversation about general hydration strategies like water dish vs damp substrate, etc.

Obviously some species will have different needs, T. sturmi vs. A. chalcodes for example, but let's go a bit further and go through what works, what doesn't work and other questions we all might have in looking to provide the best husbandry for our beloved Ts as we can while debunking some of the myths found on "care sheets" online.

Feel free to add on, reply or just follow.

My first question, size of water dish: what determines how large a water dish should be for a particular species?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
With tiny slings in vials I just trickle a little water down one side but the size of water bowl doesn't really matter as long as it is kept full. Rather than misting I over fill the water bowl occasionally so there is a damp area of substrate round it.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
When I choose water dish size it is based on two factors.Size of the enclosure and how fast evaporates.I tend to go for bigger and deeper as enclosure allows me to reduce top ups frequency.
I'd rather not bother the spiders too often if I can help it.
In enclosure for my NOT arid species and grown on slings I overflow water dish slightly and in the opposite corner I drip quite a bit of water down the side so top is dry but good chunk of bottom half of the substrate is moist.I remoisten as needed when it is almost completely dry and not on a schedule.Sometimes rotate the moist spots if possible depending where hides( burrows) are located so don't fill them up.
Only moisture loving species I have is my Pampho sp Costa that is kept on moist substrate with springtails once 1/3 of the enclosure dries I add more moisture but not going crazy with the water.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I forgot to mention that I use syringes ,droppers even water bottle with drilled cap and aquarium airline tubbing glued to it(for my bigger enclosures)to add water as my Ts go mental when I try to mist and I prefer in most cases to inject water straight down in substrate so it doesn't puddle on top.

Latest posts