• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

chriz97

Hello!
this is my freshly molted brachypelma hamorii sling.

is it a male or a female? if anyone can already tell

thanks

Attachments

• PicsArt_06-28-08.06.35.jpg
    PicsArt_06-28-08.06.35.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

TokeHound

Uhm, that's the freshly molted Tarantula, that doesn't look like the actual molt. You need the molt to be able to tell if it's male or female. You can't actually tell by looking at the underside of the Tarantula itself silly. And that looks like a juvenile if not bigger. I have a hamorii sling and it's way smaller than that.

x_raphael_xx

You need the molt to be able to tell if it's male or female. You can't actually tell by looking at the underside of the Tarantula itself silly.
That's not entirely true, you can get a decent guestimate from a ventral pic, whereas a molt is more definate.
However I'm not experienced enough to say for sure, and its obviously more accurate on bigger T's.

I would guess this is a female, but please don't qoute me. Like I said, I'm not experienced enough, so I may be wrong.

TokeHound

That's not entirely true, you can get a decent guestimate from a ventral pic, whereas a molt is more definate.
However I'm not experienced enough to say for sure, and its obviously more accurate on bigger T's.

I would guess this is a female, but please don't qoute me. Like I said, I'm not experienced enough, so I may be wrong.
Ohh gotchya, I'm still learning. I was told you HAVE to look at the molt to find the spermyflapthingy for the girlies :)

x_raphael_xx

Ohh gotchya, I'm still learning. I was told you HAVE to look at the molt to find the spermyflapthingy for the girlies :)
That is the way to be 100% sure, but you can tell from a ventrical pic.
Its gets easier to see the difference as the T matures and gets bigger.

TokeHound

That is the way to be 100% sure, but you can tell from a ventrical pic.
Its gets easier to see the difference as the T matures and gets bigger.
What are the differences in those pics? I'm not seeing anything different other than it just looks like two different Tarantulas because one seems a little darker on the tummy and the other looks a little lighter. What am I looking for on those Tarantula tummies?

x_raphael_xx

What are the differences in those pics? I'm not seeing anything different other than it just looks like two different Tarantulas because one seems a little darker on the tummy and the other looks a little lighter. What am I looking for on those Tarantula tummies?
That's what I mean! You can tell, but it's difficult to the untrained eye.
In the male pic, the hairs between the booklungs point inwards as there is a 'notch' in the middle.
The female is a nice clear straight line, so the hair is more uniform.

Latest posts