• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male & Female M. balfouri

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Paired several times recently!
KIMG1058.JPG
Female above
Male below
KIMG1057.JPG

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Beautiful T`s, what`s there temperament like, have been looking at these, I love Blue T`s.
What interests me most about them is that they are communal. I don't know how successful people have been keeping them together in captivity, but they live happily together in the wild.
That always fascinates me with tarantulas. Maybe they have evolved like that because the island that they are from is so small? I saw a photo of a mum with her spiderlings and I was instantly interested in finding out more about them.
Not interested enough to have one, though. I can't even keep up with my G. pulchripes juveniles. :rolleyes:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No, I'm going to stick to my docile NW terrestrials.
They are going for a lot less than they used to. Female, 1-1/2" is $250.
A female Balfouri at that size is $250????? Wow! I think I could a 3" female for that. That's crazy!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Beautiful T`s, what`s there temperament like, have been looking at these, I love Blue T`s.
Well they're a baboon sp. so you can pretty much guess they're full of attitude. My male seems OK but nervous. My female has a mind of her own!!! Lol....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, but the same price as a G. pulchra of the same size and sex. Except that people probably don't try to sex the G. pulchra that small - so females costing you $250-$300 are usually closer to 3".
Some of them are very costly!
I have a few of those, too.....;)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
A female Balfouri at that size is $250????? Wow! I think I could a 3" female for that. That's crazy!

We have very few suppliers in Canada and there is very little competition. We have only three suppliers willing to ship and who are big enough that they have been able to build a reputation. There might be a handful of mum and pop pet shops who have them, but they are local and don't ship. Then you might find a couple of tarantulas on Facebook, forums, and places like Kijiji. The US suppliers will not ship over the border - regardless of how much you spend.
There is only one of the three suppliers in Canada who has them at that size, so they can ask anything they want to really. Someone will pay it. Tarantula Canada has an egg sac on the go, but if you want them to be out of sling age - you still have only one option in the entire country.
It sucks really. It sucks even more if you are outside the big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I sold two of these recently for £40 (about 5cm legspan) I have a 3 to 4" inch sub adult but not been able to sex yet (been MIA in the burrow for about 4 weeks now) I reckon male, but I also thought that with my B. Boheimi so what do I know! @Casey K. Sexed me up. ....The Boheimi that is.

Latest posts