• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male/Female GBB???

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys/girls.
While my Gbb is in the ICU I thought I would have a go at sexing it.. Ive had a look and I'm unsure. What do you people think ?
image.jpg

Sorry about the quality my I phone camera is rubbish

Sym

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Colors great, but if it's out of focus on the phone it will be here to. Try a camera and then post a couple.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg

Hi poec54. Not much better but it's the best I can do with my phone

Sym

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Better pics. In the first one, at the bottom where it starts to get hairy, spray the whole thing with water, get it pretty wet, and spread that area open and take a couple of pictures. We need to see just below the book lungs.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 8225
Hi poec54. Not much better but it's the best I can do with my phone

Sym
Hello
When you do get a better camera,you will look back and laugh at this. Since a bad camera limits one,so do not stress too much it is tarantulaforum.com not fujifilm or Cannon. As for sexing,try to use a reference site or link(due to your camera) to sex yours yourself like maybe try gavins link.

This is just a quick link,there are many like these on the net.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/791894-green-bottle-blue-sex-spermatheca.html

Last edited:

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Tcrave.. I was starting to think it was a male . I've looked at many GBB moults male and female and of diffrent sizes.. It was my first attempt at sexing a T ..

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tcrave..
My GBB moulted the other day and when I came to check on her/him it was in a death curl. So I placed him/her in a ICU . I checked this morning but I don't think the little thing is going to make it.. I've only had him/her just over a month and he/she ate about 2 weeks ago but I've never seen it drink.. I wasn't expecting it at all. He/she was sat right next to the water bowl too so maybe didn't have the energy to pull herself over the side of the bowl..

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tcrave..
I don't want this to put me off from keeping T's. I'm just abit sad I didn't see the signs of dehydration . If he/she does pass away I will replace him/her. I had a look in its moult for signs of gender and I think it's a male which isn't to bad but it's still a shame..

Thanks for stopping by
Sym