• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male California Ebony Theraphosid at my house?

amanzed

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm an amateur cactus & succulent grower, new to Tarantula Forum.

This is the third tarantula I've found at my house, and I'm curious what it is. I am pretty sure from web search it's a California Ebony Tarantula male, wandering next to large Debs Park neighboring my house, searching for a mate. Spidey and I live in northeast Los Angeles, 90032.

Anyone help me out with confirmation? I appreciate the help; I'm happy to help you ID your cactus and succulents in return. ;-)
--
A Man Z (or Zed, for non-USA English speakers)

Attachments

• IMG_3765 crop Tarantula.jpg
    IMG_3765 crop Tarantula.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
AMZ, I believe that you have actually found a California Trapdoor Spider, Bothriocyrtum californicum. I am not sure though. We have a few other members that are much better at ID'ing than I.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas are kind of like the dinosaurs of the spider family...
Your Bothriocyrtum californicum is still a cool find though. They make really cool burrows with a trap door, hence the name.

amanzed

3 Year Member
Thanks! Thorax plus abdomen about 1.5 inches long--with legs at average repose, about 3 inches from tip of forelegs to feet of hind legs.

This is the third one I've found in or on my house. Debs Park has true tarantulas, I believe, as well. I found much hairier, significantly larger than these trapdoor spiders. Also the area I spotted tarantulas, I've also seen Tarantula Hawk wasps stalking. A stunning sight to see these wasps cruising in their low, terrain-hugging prowl.

Thanks for the pointer! I'm good at binomial Latin names of cactus and succulents, but not so informed (yet) on animals, let alone inverts. It's amazing the diversity we have in Los Angeles city limits, though--Debs Park is 350 acres of fairly restored, native-tending wildlife.

PS I try to save these spiders whenever I can. The tarantulas in the park, I watch until they are out of sight from the main trail, or I gently move them from the wide-open space. On the trail where I have seen them them, they are quite conspicuous and vulnerable.

Latest posts