• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Malaysian Forest scorpion

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMG_2641.JPG
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good choice. Keep the humidity up and they are very hardy. Reputation for being a bit aggressive but that seems to be in comparison to the once more popular Black Emperors. Won't kill you if you get tagged either which is always good for a first scorp :eek:

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good choice. Keep the humidity up and they are very hardy. Reputation for being a bit aggressive but that seems to be in comparison to the once more popular Black Emperors. Won't kill you if you get tagged either which is always good for a first scorp :eek:
From what Ive researched its like a wasp sting will last the day at most. Yeah alot of care sheets say its aggressive. But from the videos i watched all those looked mellow. This one was only defensive " aggressive " when i took the top paper towel off its shipping deli and when i was poking and Nudging it out of the catch cup to its enclouser. Which i cant blame it. I wouldnt like being poked with apaint brush either.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. Yep, seems like these guys are innappropriately tagged as aggressive but clearly, like all species, can have rambunctious personalities.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My adult female is very aggressive at the proper temperature. The one time I handled her due to a string being stuck in her mouth and wrapped around 2 legs, I chilled her to 50 degrees for one hour first. The string was removed and I see no need to ever handle her again.

I got into a tussle over the paintbrush because I was trying to roust her from the filthy water dish. When I released it, she literally threw it at my face successfully!! Throwing unwanted prey items and eco-earth across the enclosure are not unusual.

Do they make great pets?

Absolutely!! Striking poses, being visible during the day on a regular basis and watching them disassemble roaches is just amazing.

That's not begging for food, just pure highly territorial threat posture. Are they mischievous? Totally!! Getting covered in dirt, trashing the water dish and daring you to come and get it is all to common. They can also literally coat the walls with soil. I swear sometimes it's like she's putting the dirt onto all one side to make a ramp to escape!!

Just my imagination, right?

FWIW, momma scorp and the scorpling named Trouble that I kept both refuse crickets. Superworms are barely accepted. Roaches are where it's at. One other thing, they ignore food that's too easy to kill. A roach less then 3/4 of her size just gets ignored. They like to eat when they're angry, hot and dry. (Full water dish at all times)

Scorp badass2.jpg

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My adult female is very aggressive at the proper temperature. The one time I handled her due to a string being stuck in her mouth and wrapped around 2 legs, I chilled her to 50 degrees for one hour first. The string was removed and I see no need to ever handle her again.

I got into a tussle over the paintbrush because I was trying to roust her from the filthy water dish. When I released it, she literally threw it at my face successfully!! Throwing unwanted prey items and eco-earth across the enclosure are not unusual.

Do they make great pets?

Absolutely!! Striking poses, being visible during the day on a regular basis and watching them disassemble roaches is just amazing.

That's not begging for food, just pure highly territorial threat posture. Are they mischievous? Totally!! Getting covered in dirt, trashing the water dish and daring you to come and get it is all to common. They can also literally coat the walls with soil. I swear sometimes it's like she's putting the dirt onto all one side to make a ramp to escape!!

Just my imagination, right?

FWIW, momma scorp and the scorpling named Trouble that I kept both refuse crickets. Superworms are barely accepted. Roaches are where it's at. One other thing, they ignore food that's too easy to kill. A roach less then 3/4 of her size just gets ignored. They like to eat when they're angry, hot and dry. (Full water dish at all times)

View attachment 25813
Nice! How big is yours at the moment?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's about 5"-6" long, fully grown. She has had a brood of 22 scorplings already, which means she's an adult that won't get any bigger.

Trouble, the scorpling I kept, is now about 1.5" long, maybe 2" at most.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine likes her coconut shell. If it's just in the burrow all the time, try experimenting with temperature and humidity within reason to see if changes cause him to be more visible.

Obviously, you need to use a voltage regulator with either the heating pad or lamp. A red bulb is best. UV light damages their exoskeleton. So does the blacklights. High spectrum visible light, UV blacklights both create stress and I suspect physical discomfort.

When editing photos, taking the red tint away is pretty straightforward. Shade the tint to blue and increase exposure sightly.