• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Madagascar Hissing Roach…

Sbirtell1

So I bought a couple of smaller MHR’s as feeders for my T’s. I fed one, no issue… I actually felt really bad so I’ve been prolonging feeding this one. Now I think he (or she is a pet).

But it has grown a lot, and I noticed some debri on the paper towels I keep it on (looked like a leg and partial shell). Did it molt or about to molt? I read they should be white after their molt. I checked on him 2 days ago and he was dark brown and black. Any suggestions? It gets roach chow, fresh water, and random food (fruits/veggies/peanut butter/etc) from the fridge.

Reason I tried feeding these is because Dubias borrow and my T’s are always in hiding. If I crushed the heads I feel like the T’s would never get to them in time since they’re kept in larger enclosures with hiding spots! So I’ve been feeding a variety of Other insects.

Attachments

• 5A45E40C-6CF5-4E1B-B2F9-FABD1CF07B19.jpeg
    5A45E40C-6CF5-4E1B-B2F9-FABD1CF07B19.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 1CBE2B19-64D3-4D79-AA17-5743A9EF8683.jpeg
    1CBE2B19-64D3-4D79-AA17-5743A9EF8683.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When you feed roaches, crush their head & then put them in the enclosure, on their backs. Like that, they move their legs & attract attention. But as long as the enclosure is not too big, T's willfind thier food with ease, if they want to eat.

With roaches, yes they are white just after molting, but if this happened over night or whilst you are out for several hours, then you would maybe not see it. I am not sure exactly how long roaches remain white, but it is only a few hours at the most, as they are very soft & thus vulnerable whilst in this immediate post molt stage.

Sbirtell1

When you feed roaches, crush their head & then put them in the enclosure, on their backs. Like that, they move their legs & attract attention. But as long as the enclosure is not too big, T's willfind thier food with ease, if they want to eat.

With roaches, yes they are white just after molting, but if this happened over night or whilst you are out for several hours, then you would maybe not see it. I am not sure exactly how long roaches remain white, but it is only a few hours at the most, as they are very soft & thus vulnerable whilst in this immediate post molt stage.
Thank you very much!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I sell alot of hissers as pets, children love them. However also feed alot of my tarantulas hissers. They don't pose any danger to your spider and they don't stay still like a dubia so you don't need to crush their heads. If your spider doesn't eat it you can just reach in and grab it. Yes they are white when they molt. I looked I'm my colony just now and I don't have any that have recently molted to show you. Got lots of babies though...
20220506_051537.jpg
20220506_051628.jpg

Sbirtell1

I sell alot of hissers as pets, children love them. However also feed alot of my tarantulas hissers. They don't pose any danger to your spider and they don't stay still like a dubia so you don't need to crush their heads. If your spider doesn't eat it you can just reach in and grab it. Yes they are white when they molt. I looked I'm my colony just now and I don't have any that have recently molted to show you. Got lots of babies though...View attachment 65855View attachment 65856
Is it light colored because it just molted, and can you tell if it’s a male or female? I think it’s a male.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is it light colored because it just molted, and can you tell if it’s a male or female? I think it’s a male.
Males are lighter but flipping it over you can sex them. Males have horns or nubs on their heads also. Looking at the photo yours maybe a young male, I'd have to flip it over to be sure.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you keep a hisser as a pet. Get some water gel. As they drown in water. You can use cotton wool, but that is prone to bacteria growth. I have a colony, so I buy the gel dry & mix it up myself. But you can also buy it premade from most good petshops. Mine also LOVE those small jelly pots. They also need fruit & I also feed cheap supermarket porridge & cheap poundland flaked fish food & again they love the flaked fish food.

I do not keep my hissers on substrate & I give their enclosure a thorough clean every couple of weeks. Taking everything, including the hissers out & cleaning everything.

If you spot small white mites on a hisser, do not worry. These are friendly mites & help to keep the hissers clean & thus they help prevent us, from having an allergic reaction to bacteria on the hissers.

In the UK if you want them to breed they need extra warmth & then they breed like crazy. But other than during a very warm summer, they tend not to breed in the UK. So you can control how many you have by controlling the temperature.

Sbirtell1

If you keep a hisser as a pet. Get some water gel. As they drown in water. You can use cotton wool, but that is prone to bacteria growth. I have a colony, so I buy the gel dry & mix it up myself. But you can also buy it premade from most good petshops. Mine also LOVE those small jelly pots. They also need fruit & I also feed cheap supermarket porridge & cheap poundland flaked fish food & again they love the flaked fish food.

I do not keep my hissers on substrate & I give their enclosure a thorough clean every couple of weeks. Taking everything, including the hissers out & cleaning everything.

If you spot small white mites on a hisser, do not worry. These are friendly mites & help to keep the hissers clean & thus they help prevent us, from having an allergic reaction to bacteria on the hissers.

In the UK if you want them to breed they need extra warmth & then they breed like crazy. But other than during a very warm summer, they tend not to breed in the UK. So you can control how many you have by controlling the temperature.
Hey there, yes I did my research and so far has been thriving and growing! Thank you for your response!!!

x_raphael_xx

I'm thinking of getting a few hissers again. How quick do they breed? I seen to remember they weren't a fast turnover species
My hissers have had a couple of broods in the year I've had them, the juvis are only just getting a nice size. Whereas my dubias have exploded, especially after the addition of a heatmat.
I don't have a heatmat for the hissers, so not sure if that would have the same effect.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How quick do they breed? I seen to remember they weren't a fast turnover species

Depends upon the temperature that you keep them at. Here in the UK, without extra heat, they hardly breed at all, or not unless we have a decent summer. I used to keep mine with a heat pad on top of half the enclosure & they bred really quickly. But as I am currently reducing my stock, I removed the heat & have had no youngsters produced for months.

Latest posts