• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M balfouri Communal Vavarium

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am currently having an enclosure built for me (by a member of another forum). I plan to turn it into a vivarium for M balfouri.
the enclosure measures 37" long by 20" wide by 12" high

attachment.php

My goal is to simulate the Socotora Island habitat; a very rocky tropical desert shrub-land. Since the island is very rocky I have to come up with a lightweight simulated rock alternative. I have never been a fan of the foam backgrounds, as crickets and roaches will eat the foam and could cause impaction problems for the tarantula that eats them. But, I am at a loss for any other alternative for lightweight simulated rock. I figure f I cover the entire structure, inside and out with grout and sealer I can prevent feeders from accessing the foam an ingesting it.

Here is my material list so far:
(please fell free to offer pointers, tips, advice. this will be my first attempt at this type of setup.)

Materials-
Styrofoam Sheets
Grout mix
Cement Color (to produce varying colors for a more realistic rock)
Great Stuff Expanding Foam Insulator
Water Based Polyacrylic Sealer

Tools:
Knives and hand saws
Hot Glue Gun and glue sticks
Bucket (For mixing grout in)
Paint brushes ( for applying grout, and sealer)

Any advice, tips, ideas, comments, recommendations........would be appreciated.

TJB13

3 Year Member
I've made basking platforms for my bearded dragons this way. I did have problems with it in some spots. I had areas that the grout wasn't thick enough and cracked and chipped away. It didn't take long before it looked terrible. I imagine a tarantula a lot lighter than a dragon wouldn't be as hard on the grout. I didn't add any color so I'm not sure the best way for it. I did have a lot of fun... Even though it took a few times to get what I want. Just lay it on thick and let it set for the required time. It will be great to see when it's finished.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is good to know TJB13, thank you.

I will post progression pics as I build. The maker finished it yesterday. So I should have it here in a week or so.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I should be getting it next week. Then the build begins. I will be usng live plants, which will stay in pots and placed into pockets carved out for them. Since the M balfouri won't be big enough to go into it for at least a year the habitat will have time to stabilize.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
This is a new post to a really old thread, but I'm curious as to how your plants are coming. I love vivariums, have a few heavily planted gecko vivariums and as I was gifted a Chaco sling over the weekend, am now looking into natural vivariums for spiders.
I used some Sansieveria in the sling's, but was thinking of looking into savannah grasses for the scrubland species. However, grasses are a high-light plant...

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, looks like I neglected this thread. I am going to have to post pics and get this thread up to date.
For now:

I went a completely different route with the build. I used pumice stone, instead of styrofoam, to create the landscape and it worked beautifully, and looks very much like their native habitat.

Today they were very active, and I was able to positively confirm 4 females and two mature males; one of whom was very amorous and made his way around to each of the females, who were all very receptive. Watching their behavior is absolutely fascinating, not one single event or episode of aggression toward one another. Even when the male kept pestering the small female. She would push him away, or slap him, but maintained a calm disposition the entire time.
When one specimen encounters another, while wondering around, they just go about their business, they do not startle, they do not go through any sort of ritual, they just walk over around each other. They seem to be fully aware of each other.

Pictures to folow

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Well, looks like I neglected this thread. I am going to have to post pics and get this thread up to date.
For now:

I went a completely different route with the build. I used pumice stone, instead of styrofoam, to create the landscape and it worked beautifully, and looks very much like their native habitat.

Today they were very active, and I was able to positively confirm 4 females and two mature males; one of whom was very amorous and made his way around to each of the females, who were all very receptive. Watching their behavior is absolutely fascinating, not one single event or episode of aggression toward one another. Even when the male kept pestering the small female. She would push him away, or slap him, but maintained a calm disposition the entire time.
When one specimen encounters another, while wondering around, they just go about their business, they do not startle, they do not go through any sort of ritual, they just walk over around each other. They seem to be fully aware of each other.

Pictures to folow

I love Balfouri updates, mine has become one of my absolute favorites and I see her daily. I can't help but think she is lonely- the more research I do on these little guys, the more videos I watch and post I run into lead me to believe they prefer to be in a communal. I read recently that a group located a burrow in Socotora and they were able to identify 4 generations of siblings and the mother (who was still killing and feeding her grown children) still living together and very happily. I've watched a few videos from friends that have been keeping them together for over 4 years and they've never had a cannibalism they bread easily and are very active when they are together. I cannot wait for your updates and pictures. Lucky!!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
April 2014, they have out grown their first home and need an upgrade. Needless to say rehousing 11 Spiderlings was not going to be easy.
I came up with this idea.

20140427_160504.jpg
20140427_160955.jpg
20140427_161153.jpg
20140427_161444.jpg
20140427_162023.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts