• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

M. Balfouri as a first T

BigBenn7518

Hello everyone
I am hoping to get my very first t in the next few months but have ran into a snag, I do not seem to truly like any of the recommended beginner species. I currently have my eyes on either an M Balfouri, T Stirmi, or P Murinus. I have no desire to handle my tarantula and it would be purely ornamental. If anyone knows just how big a mistake I would be making, or knows any similar species that are easier to handle I would be very appreciative.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Agree with the clown, research it well enough and almost any first T species is possible.

Based on the hardiness of P murinus, it's actually not a bad choice for a first T if the keeper is prepared for the speed, housing needs (semi-arboreal, not fossorial) and crankiness/venom. Keep em like GBBs as juveniles and adults.

Speaking of GBBs, that's a great first T of you want something that's not a dodgy pet hole as a sling.