• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP BAD MOLT

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi guys my big female LP is at this moment molting but she is stood up and leaning against the door of her enclosure. I'm slightly concerned its not going to turn out good any advice
20201005_193049.jpg
20201005_193034.jpg
20201005_193034.jpg

Attachments

• 20201005_193017.jpg
    20201005_193017.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've misted one side of her enclosure and dampened her substrate to try and raise the humidity to see if that helps
try and raise the temp slightly too if it's on the cooler side (aim for about 24/25°C). Keep us updated buddy, and like @Enn49 says, they do sometimes moult vertically for some reason. Probably they feel they can push more against a hard surface like glass?

Seamus

3 Year Member
try and raise the temp slightly too if it's on the cooler side (aim for about 24/25°C). Keep us updated buddy, and like @Enn49 says, they do sometimes moult vertically for some reason. Probably they feel they can push more against a hard surface like glass?
Hi Phil I will put heater on in the room
Will update when I get home from work cheers

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
I had my Aphonopelma calcodes moult upright few months ago and that freak me right out.It all ended well.Hope yours is just taking her time being a big girl.Fingers crossed it all goes well.
Regards Konstantin

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi guys quick update she is still in same position just watered substrate and she moved her front legs but I'm convinced she is stuck in the molt i just don't know what else to do to help her. I can see about 14 legs but unsure which are the new ones the carapace is detached but still on her same as abdomen can partly see new abdomen but old one still on her also so not sure if she is still attached to her old exo skeleton

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys quick update she is still in same position just watered substrate and she moved her front legs but I'm convinced she is stuck in the molt i just don't know what else to do to help her. I can see about 14 legs but unsure which are the new ones the carapace is detached but still on her same as abdomen can partly see new abdomen but old one still on her also so not sure if she is still attached to her old exo skeleton
Hopefully on the way to a moult now. assume you didn't mean 30 hours with legs sticking out?

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi guys really not sure what to do for the best she is still in same position she moves her legs when I water the substrate but that's about it. Getting really worried about her just hope she is not suffering

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can you put a picture of where you think she is stuck? It maybe possible to spray her down and help to remove some stuck moult if it's not to bad but it's not something you want to attempt without getting right advice first- that's if it is stuck?

Seamus

3 Year Member
Can you put a picture of where you think she is stuck? It maybe possible to spray her down and help to remove some stuck moult if it's not to bad but it's not something you want to attempt without getting right advice first- that's if it is stuck?
sorry but that's the best I can do due to her position
20201006_223126_resized.jpg
20201006_223206.jpg
20201006_223126.jpg
20201006_222808.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It pains me to say, but that doesn't look good. I had an AF B auratum in a very similar situation, who unfortunately didn't make it despite incubator type care and removing exoskeleton where I could but she had hardened within the old skin and any attempt to break the old exoskeleton would actually rupture her legs.

Olive oil is the only other thing I can suggest but if not attempting to pump and force out of old skin, olive oil is just getting to make what's left all greasy.

Sorry pal, wish I could offer more help.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Way I see it atm is your spider is going to die if she can’t get out. 30 hours isn’t enough time for her to fully harden but I’d mist her down to soften the exo and try working some of it off so you can work out exactly what is stuck. Have corn starch at the ready just incase but you may work it to a point she has only 2 legs stuck or something and as nasty as it sounds you could amputate them and she’ll hopefully recover.

Seamus

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys checked her this morning before I went to work and no change will attempt to help remove exoskeleton tonight. Will update you tonight cheers again for the advice