• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loving my T collection!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
So from Arachnophobe to arachnophile, I couldn’t help but share the love I have for my little T collection, also thanks to all you lot who have been so helpful and have given me so many great tips.
I’ve got it bad now so am converting a cupboard for 6-8 more glass vivs.
I get so much pleasure watching them,
The new ones I got recently are all feeding very well, so am sharing a few pictures.

Pleased to see the new albiceps out and eager to feed, even went for water drops today.
49FA32DB-8AE2-46A6-80E2-10C6666D9E67.jpeg
F8C5B8B1-8F8F-4082-89EF-76B96CE89D23.jpeg
0FA87B8F-4776-460A-B294-45FF1C5709DA.jpeg

Ive been watching the albopilosum excavating a burrow, it’s been fascinating to she her collect up piles of earth in her jaws and move such a lot of substrate.
65B53FA3-BE5B-4682-BA4E-647072C98B49.jpeg

My beautiful acanthuscurria, she’s my biggest T and such fun.
BE9F0B3F-4F24-4F9D-9533-AA5823A06F8C.jpeg

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Many of us have made that same transition from arachnophobe to arachnophile but it really does become an addiction :rolleyes:
B. albopilosoms are know from their bulldozing habits, they don't stop when they're little :)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Tarantula1994 thanks, will do! It’s really nice to share with people that don’t go ‘yuk, why did you buy that!’ LOL
@Dave Jay Thanks Dave, as we know it’s possible to have ten terrariums and not actually see a single Tarantula but I enjoy looking at the display just as much, The aphonopelma in the lowest middle house was out actually, but the lights are linked led strip lights sold for under lighting for kitchen cabinets etc, very low wattage, running off two plugs, in these houses I was lucky to find a little plastic ridge on the inside top that the strips could be wired into with a very fine wire so being actually inside each viv they are much brighter than on top shining through the mesh, they are bright enough but not too much for the Ts. Means I can open the tops easier without a canopy on each,
Yes if you get very lost one day and find yourself in England, do come and have a look!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
This is what it is all about. I find myself saying the same thing. I just look around the room and think: Man! I love all these little guys! I get so much enjoyment from watching them do their thing, and feeding them and making new environments for them to live in and interact with.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Tortoise Tom yes, quite right, as you know I have other animals, lizards, etc, I enjoy keeping them all but I have been won over by tarantulas and making their terrariums, I so enjoy watching them too, I never realised they were such amazing creatures, having always dismissed them through my own fear, now I get to observe them and what a gift that is.
As you rightly say to watch them interact in a new environment and see them hunt, it’s magical.
My favourite was the acanthuscurria, I put a roach in and it buried itself, but she was aware something was around, so she came out her burrow, stretched her legs out as much as possible and just waited, sensing for the slightest movement underfoot, it was awesome to watch.
Yep, I think they have given me the most pleasure of all.

@PanzoN88 i think you are quite right! Bring it on!

Oh and yes... and there’s two more due tomorrow! A Grammostola actaeon and a Nhandu chromatus.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So from Arachnophobe to arachnophile, I couldn’t help but share the love I have for my little T collection, also thanks to all you lot who have been so helpful and have given me so many great tips.
I’ve got it bad now so am converting a cupboard for 6-8 more glass vivs.
I get so much pleasure watching them,
The new ones I got recently are all feeding very well, so am sharing a few pictures.

Pleased to see the new albiceps out and eager to feed, even went for water drops today.
View attachment 34023 View attachment 34024 View attachment 34025
Ive been watching the albopilosum excavating a burrow, it’s been fascinating to she her collect up piles of earth in her jaws and move such a lot of substrate.
View attachment 34022
My beautiful acanthuscurria, she’s my biggest T and such fun.
View attachment 34020
Thanks guys.
great selection of Ts and some lovely looking set ups. Nice additions coming to. I prefer the term "arachnoholic" ...got a better ring to it I think and seems to fit the addictive nature of being lucky enough by own Ts. :)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you very much, that’s very kind of you @Whitelightning777 even though I don’t see everybody out, there’s usually one or two visible, I get so much pleasure looking at the enclosures, it also makes it really easy to see exactly what the get up to which I love, each night someone has made progress making a tunnel or a web so it’s great fun,
Just about to add another 6 or so in the same style so watch this space!!!
Thank you.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi @Whitelightning777 it was difficult to choose glass vivs, the options were exoterra but they were deep and I am not as keen on them as full glass fronts so in the end these ‘Komodo habitats’ were really all I could choose, not ideal as top opening, they do a front opening but the design doesn’t have the substrate guard as good as the exoterra but how often will I need to go in there anyway, I really love the full clear sheet of glass with minimal plastic edging etc, they are 40x30x30cm and 50x40x40cm, I like the larger size but they don’t use it much, it’s still nice to give them a good size viv, whether even those are too small I don’t know, the other reason I chose those that with minimal space to keep these Ts my shelves were only 40cm deep so exoterra would of been tricky, the lighting is led strip lighting for under cabinets in kitchens, the backgrounds are off eBay and are 3D foam aquarium backgrounds, the stone is fish tank stone, either dragon stone, iwagumi rocks, etc, the plants are all fake succulents etc, unfortunately my diy skills don’t run to slide out shelves so I had to sacrifice space above to be able to open, but again I don’t need to open other than feeding for the majority of the time, so they are ideal but work day to day and aesthetically. I’m just about to make another unit, I have exoterras but I’m thinking I will buy these Komodo again just because the look is better. I’ll post when I’ve dont the next unit, looking forward to making it.
Thanks.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you, I’ve just planned the new unit, worked out I can just about get 8 normal sized vivs and four for juvs, so that’s not bad!
That will be 20 tarantula houses in my bedroom! That’s normal!
Now all I need is the money! LOL.