• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

loves animals

CAcowgirl

Hi. I've loved animals since I entered this world. I especially love cats, horses, snakes, tarantulas and scorpions.

I'm enamored with tarantulas and scorpions because they're fascinating to watch. Highly variable in coloration, behavior, and temperament. I'm not always driven towards the most flashy but I can appreciate them. I also don't mind a slow grower. I do enjoy raising slings. It gratifying.

I've kept tarantulas since 2012. Gosh, it's been ten years now. My longest tenured T is an AF A. chalcodes (Tucson blonde) named, "Barbie". I've had her 10 years. She's a big "chonk" as one might say. I'm wagering she's over 25 years old. She was a 5-year long captive from the fella who collected her. And she hasn't grown much. And as slow as they grow, if she was just about fully grown when she was collected in the field, 10+5 = 15 + ~10 = approx. 25 years. She'll eat if I catch a grasshopper for her but she's not molted in 2 years and no longer wants even Jamaican crickets. Never ate dubia, "bleh" she says. I hope I have her another 10+ years. I love her.

Aside from my chalcodes, I've kept many terrestrial tarantulas, mostly new world. But I've kept some baboons and really enjoyed my C. darlingi (African rear-horned baboon). I had a funny and moody C. cyaneopubescens (Green bottle blue) named, Mick Jagger because he walked with swagger as a sling. I also loved the P. irminia (Venezuelan suntiger) once kept. Named him Trigger. I dropped a cricket for him and he jumped on it. I made the mistake of spritzing his enclosure (a dish wasn't practical for that enclosure) moments later. He dashed out of his enclosure, startled, with the cricket in his fangs. He paused about a foot away. Then I set his enclosure in the other bathroom sink. I gently nudged him and he flew to his enclosure like he was a trick pony. Thus I named him Trigger. He hooked out and was telling me sweet nothings through his screen one day before he passed on. He was beautiful.

I've kept others but I'll spare my thumbs (typing on my "smart" phone) and tell you about what I have now.

Tarantulas
0.1 Aphonopelma chalcodes (Tucson blonde)
0.0.6 Caribena versicolor (Antilles pinktoe)
0.0.1 Euathlus parvulus (Chilean gold burst)
0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian black)
0.0.1 Tliltocatl albopilosum (Nicaraguan curly hair)
0.0.2 Brachypelma boehmi (Mexican fire leg)
0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi (Mexican red knee)
0.0.1 Brachypelma hamorii (hobby form Mexican red knee)

Scorpions
0.0.4 Centruroides sculpturatus (Arizona bark)

I'd really love to have a P. scrofa (Chilean copper) once again (see my post in the thread linked below). I really miss mine, RIP. And I'd love to also have: red color form rose hair, A. purpurea, among others.

It'd thrill me to find (in the field) the newly discovered new world tarantula, Aphonopelma johnnycashi (Johnny cash). They're located not too far from me. I just have to get out and look when the weather is warmer.

If you've read this far, thank you. Most people these days have attention spans reminiscent of goldfish. But, I write well and we love our tarantulas - sometimes can't get enough of them - so hopefully you enjoyed reading. Here's some pics of my Ts. The sling at the edge of its enclosure is my Chilean gold burst today. The large T in critter carrier is my chalcodes awaiting re-entry to her 5 gallon terrarium.

Attachments

• 20220208_212604.jpg
    20220208_212604.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210823_185558.jpg
    20210823_185558.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220108_215915.jpg
    20220108_215915.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220117_231818.jpg
    20220117_231818.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220117_232631.jpg
    20220117_232631.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

CAcowgirl

Apparently the forum doesn't acknowledge my phone's emoji for two beers saying, "cheers". :shrug ‍♀️ And I can't figure out how to delete or edit my reply after clicking post reply. Oh well.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Apparently the forum doesn't acknowledge my phone's emoji for two beers saying, "cheers". :shrug ‍♀️ And I can't figure out how to delete or edit my reply after clicking post reply. Oh well.

I think that only premium (subscribers) members can edit and I think it has a 15 min time out. Here is what the administrator Josh said in 2020

"Unfortunately there's been a recent rash of people abusing the edit/delete feature so we've set it to 'off' for normal users and there's a 15 min timer for premium members."

As well as this ability to edit posts and financially supporting the forums, there are other benefits to membership. Several that aren't commonly known is that premium members' posts can be 30 percent snarkier and 25 percent more irreverent than non members.

I hope this helps.

Latest posts