• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loss

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
On Christmas day, 2012, I lost my father. He died of end stage emphysema, from smoking all of his life. The stress and heartbreak almost took my mother with him. My own grief nearly destroyed me. I wasn't myself for two years.

A few months ago I lost my best friend, a female English Bull Terrier named Ms. Piggy. She died from a genetic kidney disease. It hurt me very badly, of course. Another part of me died, and I lost a strong source of strength, just as I had when my father died. Piggy had been an absolute rock, at that horrible time, anchoring me, and just being a friend, when my heart had hardened and then shattered at my dad's passing. To this day, I attribute my love of my wonderful mom, and the love and devotion of my best friend, to saving my life. I was in a very bad place, and they pulled me out, because I wasnt strong enough to do it myself.

On April fourth of this year, a week ago, my mother passed away.

The first two days I spent tending to my brother, because he almost lost his mind from grief, and survivors guilt(which, by the way, is a very real, very dangerous, useless, and destructive situation). After an eventful week, I'm confident he see's clearly. He's ok now, and no longer engaging in blaming himself. He's in the medical field and was crucifying himself for not seeing the signs, and blaming himself for the death of our mom. This in itself was very traumatic, to both of us. It broke my heart, and nearly drove my brother insane.

This is a mistake, folks. We all die. **** happens, to EVERYONE. Survivors guilt is ****. I assure you, there are people who have suffered such horrible, heartbreaking loss, that if they read this they'll probably smile sadly and DISMISS it immediately. I guess my message here is this: Push past grief. Eat your guilt, it's useless and helps nobody. You have to go on living. There's nothing else you can do. Grief only eases with time, and it never leaves us. But you'll grow stronger. I hope this helps someone. Self destruction is the beta, ***** way out. Stand up, stop weeping, and ****ing push through. That is what we are. That is what we do. Master yourself.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ohh, Mass, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you were very close to your Mum..
It's hard to lose parents but I have always been brought up in a family that remembers the good times, jokes about the funny things that they said or did and it helps a lot..

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry to hear about your loss brother. I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my mother 16 years ago and it was rough. I had my best friend Smokey, a Siberian husky. He helped me through alot. When he passed away a few years ago I was a mess. I didnt think I could replace him. Then I found Lucy. We are inseparable...take her to work everyday. Hope you can replace piggy soon. It actually was alot easier then I thought. I waited a few years to find another dog and now I wonder why I waited so long. Be strong bro...losing a parent is always rough. Lucy and I are pulling for you.
20190413_082737.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
On Christmas day, 2012, I lost my father. He died of end stage emphysema, from smoking all of his life. The stress and heartbreak almost took my mother with him. My own grief nearly destroyed me. I wasn't myself for two years.

A few months ago I lost my best friend, a female English Bull Terrier named Ms. Piggy. She died from a genetic kidney disease. It hurt me very badly, of course. Another part of me died, and I lost a strong source of strength, just as I had when my father died. Piggy had been an absolute rock, at that horrible time, anchoring me, and just being a friend, when my heart had hardened and then shattered at my dad's passing. To this day, I attribute my love of my wonderful mom, and the love and devotion of my best friend, to saving my life. I was in a very bad place, and they pulled me out, because I wasnt strong enough to do it myself.

On April fourth of this year, a week ago, my mother passed away.

The first two days I spent tending to my brother, because he almost lost his mind from grief, and survivors guilt(which, by the way, is a very real, very dangerous, useless, and destructive situation). After an eventful week, I'm confident he see's clearly. He's ok now, and no longer engaging in blaming himself. He's in the medical field and was crucifying himself for not seeing the signs, and blaming himself for the death of our mom. This in itself was very traumatic, to both of us. It broke my heart, and nearly drove my brother insane.

This is a mistake, folks. We all die. **** happens, to EVERYONE. Survivors guilt is ****. I assure you, there are people who have suffered such horrible, heartbreaking loss, that if they read this they'll probably smile sadly and DISMISS it immediately. I guess my message here is this: Push past grief. Eat your guilt, it's useless and helps nobody. You have to go on living. There's nothing else you can do. Grief only eases with time, and it never leaves us. But you'll grow stronger. I hope this helps someone. Self destruction is the beta, ***** way out. Stand up, stop weeping, and ****ing push through. That is what we are. That is what we do. Master yourself.
Really sorry to hear about your sad times. What is clear is that you are stronger for it and this post is inspirational. I am having similar guilt issues about some horrible events that are happening with my father. I did exactly as you described and hit the self destruct button. Your message really resonates and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart by putting this out there and being vulnerable (in a good way). You are making me evaluate things in a different way and I thank you for that. Stay strong and stay drinking if this is the kind of words you are capable of when drunk! ;):beer: