• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loosing Weight

krbrooks

20190603_065903.jpg
Thanks in advance for reading/helping! I have a Chilean Rosehair who has been fasting for 7 months. I've had her for two years, and she went about a year without eating before her first molt. I thought that was a long time, even for a rosehair, but it seemed to be her "normal." the past month or so, however, I have noticed her abdomen really thinning out. I'm a reptile person, she's my only T, so I'm not sure if this could be a normal pre-molt thing? It also seems like she's much more active, like she's looking for food? Usually when I put a superworm in there she'll play with it but won't eat. Any tips?

krbrooks

Yes. Just like with the superworms, she'll make an attempt at strike posture (pretty much the same as when I startle her with something, like she's scared of her prey lol) but leaves them alone.

krbrooks

She doesn't have tibial hooks, and I got her from a friend who has maintained a large collection of Ts over the years. I would assume he knew what he was talking about, but anything is possible! Just out of curiosity: why would the sex matter in this situation?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It just sounded like you are describing a male tarantula. They stop eating and the abdomen shrinks....that just came to mind when I was reading your post.:)