• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking to grow feeders

Grio

3 Year Member
I'm not really liking crickets. They are escape artist. Require a decent amount of care.

Mealworms liking them but like to bury and not all my Ts like to go after them when i have togs in their enclosure.
If left alone they will quickly bury themselves.

Dubia- pose the same issue as the mealworms but easy to grow like the mealworms.

I was thinking about doing Red Runner Roaches - Turkistan ****roach

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these guys.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I understand your frustration with crickets, however there's a reason they're the staple of the hobby. Not all tarantulas will accept roaches.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I'm not really liking crickets. They are escape artist. Require a decent amount of care.

Mealworms liking them but like to bury and not all my Ts like to go after them when i have togs in their enclosure.

Dubia- pose the same issue as the mealworms but easy to grow like the mealworms.

If you look in the "Tarantula Feeding and Feeder insects" section, there is a thread about this subject.

Ghost

3 Year Member

Yes I keep a large colony of Turkistan roaches and have done for years and use them as the main feeders for my T's and only use crickets and super worms once ever couple of months just to mix things up a bit and give them a change.
The one thing I will say is when your using meal worms is crush their heads and this will stop them burrowing in the substrate,any questions you have about the Turkistan roaches just ask and I'll try my best to answer.....

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you go with roaches, I would definitely avoid any species that can fly. Like Red Runners. Also research whether the species you go after is able to reproduce and thrive in you home.

Grio

3 Year Member
From what I read they don't fly and are easier to take care of than crickets.

The issue I'm hearing about is some Ts wont even bother with roaches.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely easier to take care of then crickets. Hate the buggers. Red Roaches are very cool looking and won't burrow in the substrate as much as Dubia. However, they will reproduce if they escape :eek:. They are very quick and males are capable of flight.

“Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.” Dr. Ian Malcom (Jurassic Park)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They will eat them. You may have to tong feed at first? I would suggest you pick up a batch to test it out and see how they do. Check the local reptile shows or online.

Latest posts