• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

looking for Phormicticus sp. violet/purple or Pamp. sp machala

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For one thing, I'm not sure if either is available but assuming I have a choice in the future, which is easier to keep? Which is more mentally stable? Yes, I realize that some specimens are defensive or aggressive at times. Does a large hide and a roomy cage mitigate these problems?

Tom's big spiders has an excellent genus review of Phormicticus but not Pamphometous sp machala (because it's something else)

I've looked at a few of the Pamphometous caresheets but my inner BS detector lights up. It might be just a self inflicted mind game but the BS detector has an excellent track record. Specifically, some people say that they're as tricky to keep as T blondi. Others say it's just like Lasiodora species or a geniculata but just a tad more moist. Are they just a little hyper or an OBT with urticating hairs, another words hell on wheels?

Basically since the tragic loss of my balfouri, I'm looking for a purple spider that'll equal my Lasiodora in size, ending up in a 5 gallon tank most likely.

Of course, I'll do my usual routine by trying to get a sling about 1.5"-2" in size, unsexed. It's more fun that way and the growth is fascinating.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just took delivery and did unpacking. A video of that will be uploaded to YouTube and then to the seller reviews section very shortly. I'm waiting for the phone to finish compressing the video.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually, she looks very comfortable. I'm almost tempted to attempt feeding sooner rather then later. She's sitting in the starter burrow like she owns the place!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update, I found mealworm parts which means she got at least one of them. Placing a sprinkle of mealworm food 2 inches away from her worked like a charm. The pinch of mealworm food mostly vanished and the substrate was moved just a tiny bit.

This indicates <BAM> !! Gotcha!!

I added a tiny bit of moisture and nudged her to the wet side of the enclosure and the water dish just to make sure she knows where it is.

Overall, very calm. Each tiny nudge with a paint brush moves her about an inch and slowly. It's amazing how she just chills in one place in the open for hours at a time.

She went into the hide for the first few hours and then had stayed out in the open dead center of the enclosure in the 80 degree area. I think she and Justina, my L Klugi, might've been separated at birth. They have very similar personalities.

In a few days if there's no premolt, I'll try either a small roach if I can find one or else a cricket. They're faster moving prey items but shouldn't be a problem unless she lacks ambition.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh dear oh dear, I'm almost positive she's in premolt, abdomen getting darker.

Freakout in 5, 4, 3, 2.....

Actually the humidity is pretty good in there, so things should go off without a hitch.

The water dish is literally big enough for her to go fishing if she wanted to. Of course, it's also shallow enough for her to leave!!

Like my Lasiodora, she enjoys hanging out right in the middle where the temps are 80 degrees.

Justina (LK) always molted in secret at that size and was never just chilling out until she was much bigger.

The personalities are intriguing when you consider how primitive the neural network really is.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pamphos are not too bad as slings, the bigger they get the more they chill out, generally. I keep them like Theraphosa, except my pair of mascara, who I keep a little dryer. They're from arid coastal scrub/forest, supposedly, with moderate to light rainfall annually. Even though its been recommended to keep them like all pamphos, I'm afraid to go too moist, or too dry :( I've already lost a beautiful antinous in a molt, I'm afraid to experiment. So I fuss over them. Alot.

Latest posts