• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

looking for advice for new keeper

Grandsouls

Hello!
Try to make this quick.
I have kept a rosea for many years. She has always been a evil little thing. I recently got a pink toe and plan on getting many more!
I am just wondering how bad of a idea it would be to get a old world next?
I love pokies and P. Metallica's.
I have lots of experience with aggressive and dangerous, fast snakes, and lizards etc, and many other exotics.
So I have a grown respect and understanding of dangerous animals. However with tarantulas pretty limited to those that I own currently.
To my understanding, pokies essentially teleport and are quite mean. I do not really fear the idea of that. But obviously would have a massive respect to there nature.
Iv always tried to be safe as possible and respectful of all creatures. I am wondering if not one of those, then what new tarantula would you recommend? Not looking for a friendly creature. Rather something exciting to watch and something beautiful to observe.
I know with snakes, with the real aggressive ones it always got me excited having to rehouse or clean there cages, i like challenge a lot haha :D
Anyway, if not those, what to get then, any advice is much appreciated thanks!
Here is a pic of my evil little rosea angry about my food offering.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image3.jpg
    thumbnail_image3.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm the last person to dissuade you from OW Ts as my first 2 Ts were an OBT and and a P. metallica. As long as you know what you're getting into, move slowly around them then you'll be fine.

Grandsouls

I'm the last person to dissuade you from OW Ts as my first 2 Ts were an OBT and and a P. metallica. As long as you know what you're getting into, move slowly around them then you'll be fine.

Definitely know what I am getting into yeah, I have spent countless hours researching. Just was not sure if it would be a good idea or not....On the other hand I always went with the more aggressive and pissy snakes too so makes sense.

Ok thanks for your opinion!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Definitely know what I am getting into yeah, I have spent countless hours researching. Just was not sure if it would be a good idea or not....On the other hand I always went with the more aggressive and pissy snakes too so makes sense.

Ok thanks for your opinion!

I used to keep and breed snakes and like you loved the ones with attitude, I only have 3 now plus 3 visitors. I think they gave me the confidence to take on an OBT although I got slated on another forum but that won't happen here.

Grandsouls

I used to keep and breed snakes and like you loved the ones with attitude, I only have 3 now plus 3 visitors. I think they gave me the confidence to take on an OBT although I got slated on another forum but that won't happen here.

Got slated why so?

I have no more reptiles, I have worked with venomous snakes as well, through zoo's etc fortunate enough to have the experience.. Anyway I broke up with ex, after that disaster I ended up re-homing all my reptiles due to not knowing future situation etc..Anyway they are a lot of work, etc, I think I am going to go tarantulas now...I know you know what I am saying. Though snakes are not bad I can almost guarantee I will be getting some kind of snake in the future they are very meditative for me..,

Anyway she was the wall that kept me from being able to collect tarantulas now she is out of the way, I am able to go nuts haha..

Now its a matter of fining some!
I think I will have to wait a bit, as budget is fairly tight right now.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Got slated why so?

I have no more reptiles, I have worked with venomous snakes as well, through zoo's etc fortunate enough to have the experience.. Anyway I broke up with ex, after that disaster I ended up re-homing all my reptiles due to not knowing future situation etc..Anyway they are a lot of work, etc, I think I am going to go tarantulas now...I know you know what I am saying. Though snakes are not bad I can almost guarantee I will be getting some kind of snake in the future they are very meditative for me..,

Anyway she was the wall that kept me from being able to collect tarantulas now she is out of the way, I am able to go nuts haha..

Now its a matter of fining some!
I think I will have to wait a bit, as budget is fairly tight right now.

I got slated because the forum I was using had this "ladder system" where you begin in the hobby with the easy Ts like Brachypelma and Grammostola and according to them I was stupid for buying an OBT as a first T.
I had to get rid of my snakes when I moved in to look after my Mum and began keeping Ts because they took up less time. I found I couldn't live without a snake in the house.
Ts are so much cheaper to buy and take up so much less space than snakes. Just be warned they are extremely addictive.

Grandsouls

I got slated because the forum I was using had this "ladder system" where you begin in the hobby with the easy Ts like Brachypelma and Grammostola and according to them I was stupid for buying an OBT as a first T.
I had to get rid of my snakes when I moved in to look after my Mum and began keeping Ts because they took up less time. I found I couldn't live without a snake in the house.
Ts are so much cheaper to buy and take up so much less space than snakes. Just be warned they are extremely addictive.

Well I was a massive reptile man for a while, so I know what you mean by addictive for sure haha..

And that's bull****. I do agree G. Rosea's are really easy to deal with even when aggressive. I have a pink toe, although really quick and bolty, is not aggressive one bit though., FAR less intimidating then my G. Rosea.
But there are some, like my girl, if given the chance will try to slaughter you, shoot hairs and do everything and anything to make your life miserable as possible. After further research I found this can be pretty common with this species.
If I get within 5 inches of her she will quite literally jump and try to bite/ tag me ( Not sure of tagging is a term in tarantula realm but since you kept snakes you know what I am saying ) And for a beginner that could be pretty intimidating. I dealt with many snakes that have a 5 foot strike range and a 8 inch mouth length when open so for me its kinda cute lol.

But still.. Someone that has no experience with exotics and gets a rosea that jumps 5 inches to sink its fangs into you.....Yah not cool.

You can see the picture of first post, I quite literally dropped a worm for her ( She hardly ever eats) and she went straight to threat posture, I wasn't even in the cage I just dropped the worm. I took a photo, .2 seconds after the photo she was jumping at my phone. To get the worm out of there I had to tickle the corner of the cage to get her to charge to the other side of the cage so I could quickly snatch it out of there.

Regardless. Just like snakes (I assume from my experience at lease), It is not ALWAYS species dependent can be sweet hearts some can be evil ****s. There are lemons in all species just like humans.

E

ExMember

@Grandsouls welcome to the forum! That's one psycho rosie you got there!

@Enn49 I doubt it was the "ladder system" that caused that specifically. That site is a cult with a lot of dogma and blind little followers lol! They will fight about anything. I once got into an argument with 2 german keepers who said you can't keep Ts on coco fibre!?!?! Then there's the enclosure police! I got banned for defending myself against a troll lol!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well I was a massive reptile man for a while, so I know what you mean by addictive for sure haha..

And that's bull****. I do agree G. Rosea's are really easy to deal with even when aggressive. I have a pink toe, although really quick and bolty, is not aggressive one bit though., FAR less intimidating then my G. Rosea.
But there are some, like my girl, if given the chance will try to slaughter you, shoot hairs and do everything and anything to make your life miserable as possible. After further research I found this can be pretty common with this species.
If I get within 5 inches of her she will quite literally jump and try to bite/ tag me ( Not sure of tagging is a term in tarantula realm but since you kept snakes you know what I am saying ) And for a beginner that could be pretty intimidating. I dealt with many snakes that have a 5 foot strike range and a 8 inch mouth length when open so for me its kinda cute lol.

But still.. Someone that has no experience with exotics and gets a rosea that jumps 5 inches to sink its fangs into you.....Yah not cool.

You can see the picture of first post, I quite literally dropped a worm for her ( She hardly ever eats) and she went straight to threat posture, I wasn't even in the cage I just dropped the worm. I took a photo, .2 seconds after the photo she was jumping at my phone. To get the worm out of there I had to tickle the corner of the cage to get her to charge to the other side of the cage so I could quickly snatch it out of there.

Regardless. Just like snakes (I assume from my experience at lease), It is not ALWAYS species dependent can be sweet hearts some can be evil ****s. There are lemons in all species just like humans.

My OBT was more likely to run and hide and my P. metallica is my calmest T. so much for their bad reputations. I love to see the tiny slings throw threat poses, they really are cute.
Among my favourite snakes were Blood Pythons and Boas and boy can they pack a punch when they strike :p.

JayManges

To my understanding, pokies essentially teleport and are quite mean.
I agree with the former but not the latter. Yes, you will be astonished at how quick they are. Mean? I don't think so. To the contrary, I believe pokies to be shy and reclusive creatures who try using camouflage to hide as their first defense. After that, they bolt. That's the nerve racking part. I think you would have to startle one or seriously provoke it to bite.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with the former but not the latter. Yes, you will be astonished at how quick they are. Mean? I don't think so. To the contrary, I believe pokies to be shy and reclusive creatures who try using camouflage to hide as their first defense. After that, they bolt. That's the nerve racking part. I think you would have to startle one or seriously provoke it to bite.

My P. met. sits on the door (a guillotine style door that slides upwards) most of the time and will stay perfectly still while I put food in or fill the water bowl, not even a twitch.

Grandsouls

My OBT was more likely to run and hide and my P. metallica is my calmest T. so much for their bad reputations. I love to see the tiny slings throw threat poses, they really are cute.
Among my favourite snakes were Blood Pythons and Boas and boy can they pack a punch when they strike :p.

Hell yah! I had a pair of blood pythons, both 6 ft and about width of at lease a football with both hands wrapped around I just barely got half way around there body., Massive massive mothers..And my goodness, the strength. If they where going to travel somewhere they where going to go that way, No controlling those beasts.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hell yah! I had a pair of blood pythons, both 6 ft and about width of at lease a football with both hands wrapped around I just barely got half way around there body., Massive massive mothers..And my goodness, the strength. If they where going to travel somewhere they where going to go that way, No controlling those beasts.

I had about 5 over the years and only one was nasty. Most I bought as youngsters and they were well handled, my big lad used to like curling up on my knee to watch TV but the nasty one I'd bought as an adult with a view to breeding them. She was pure evil and I sold her on pretty quickly.

Latest posts