• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking at getting 4 new T's

Antsman

3 Year Member
I'm looking at getting 4 more T's soon. I'm trying to pick the easier species to keep.
I have chosen mostly dry loving species. Any information on any of them would be much appreciated, I have been doing my research but I want to cross reference with you all before going forward.
I currently have: Grammostola porteri, Brachypelma albopilosum, Lasiodora difficilis, Grammostola pulchra, Ahonoplema seemanni.

I'm looking at getting: Bumba cabocla 1/2", Chromatopelma cyaneopubsecens (GBB) 3/4", Grammostola rosea 1/2", Trixopelma octerti 1/3". And maybe a Grammostola actaeon 1/2" if I have any cash left.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well, these are excellent choices! Care of G rosea and G actaeon is the same as G porteri or pulchra. Maybe just a little bit moister for actaeon/pulchra than porteri/rosea, but it isn't necessary, you can keep them dry without any issues (since they are not slings, of course).

C cyaneopubescens: when not a sling anymore, you can keep them completely dry with a waterdish. As they web heavily, give them lots of anchor points (like branches, fake plants, etc.) and they will build a splendid enclosure with silk and lots of different shapes/retreats. It also gives them the possibility to stand above the ground, which they like (even if not arboreal per se). Not big hair kickers.

T ockerti: there is a debate to know if they are arboreal, semi arboreal or terrestrial. I decided to give mine the choice: enough ground to saunter, and two vertical cork bark with fake plants in case she wanted to act acrobat. Since six months that I have her, she's almost always on the cork bark, and very little on the ground. At least mine seems to be more arboreal than terrestrial! But she isn't building a nest as Avics do nor a hide curtain with dirt as Psalmos. In fact, she doesn't web much, and is always out to be seen. Which makes her some kind of weird arboreal... Anyway, my advice is: give them vertical cork bark and a terrestrial hide, and let them choose what they like best. I keep mine dry, but once in a while I overflow the waterdish, or I increase the humidity when a molt is coming. Very easy, and a beautiful spp.: photos don't do them justice, with their strawberry abdomen and greenish carapace... Lovely! They are supposed to be very prone to flick hairs, but mine is rather calm (I don't disturb her either...).

Let us know what you choose/find!

Latest posts