• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live plants question

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Thinking of using a trailing house plant as decoration to my terrariums but instead of planting it in will keep it in the pot behind the enclosure and trail it trough the cable slots (vent holes)of my exo terras.This should make it easy in regards of watering it and wont affect overal humidity of the enclosure.
My question is if the Ts are not in contact with the soil of the plant will it matter if there are fertiliser pearls in the plant pot?
The plants are pesticide free as I have taken cuttings that I am rooting now but the mother plant has been fertilised regularly.
Regards Konstantin

Soulman

Hi all
Thinking of using a trailing house plant as decoration to my terrariums but instead of planting it in will keep it in the pot behind the enclosure and trail it trough the cable slots (vent holes)of my exo terras.This should make it easy in regards of watering it and wont affect overal humidity of the enclosure.
My question is if the Ts are not in contact with the soil of the plant will it matter if there are fertiliser pearls in the plant pot?
The plants are pesticide free as I have taken cuttings that I am rooting now but the mother plant has been fertilised regularly.
Regards Konstantin
House plants get bugs,bugs get on plant then into the vent holes.pesticide free or not.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
House plants get bugs,bugs get on plant then into the vent holes.pesticide free or not.
Hi there
Im not quite sure what are you trying to say in your comment.

If you are using live plants planted in the enclosure chanses are they are the same boat as those planted outside of the enclosure(house plants).
There are plenty of people having both house plants and tarantulas in their homes and plenty of keepers keeping Ts with live plants in the enclosures.
Also humid enclosure on its own has a pretty good chance of attracting bugs anyway trough the vent holes plants or not.
My original question is about added or (adding)fertiliser as supplement to the plant if the Ts wont have any physical contact with it.

Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's not a bad idea, but it gets complicated

My other hobby is aquascaping, mainly ripariums, google that if you want to know what exactly a riparium is, and while live plants mean natural beauty they also bring a lot more work.

Not mine
Riparium.jpg

Requires constant maintenance to keep it looking clean and nice

Soulman

Hi there
Im not quite sure what are you trying to say in your comment.

If you are using live plants planted in the enclosure chanses are they are the same boat as those planted outside of the enclosure(house plants).
There are plenty of people having both house plants and tarantulas in their homes and plenty of keepers keeping Ts with live plants in the enclosures.
Also humid enclosure on its own has a pretty good chance of attracting bugs anyway trough the vent holes plants or not.
My original question is about added or (adding)fertiliser as supplement to the plant if the Ts wont have any physical contact with it.

Regards Konstantin
Just only I can see it maybe a problem,but what if the plant gets damaged.in the spider enclosures.?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just only I can see it maybe a problem,but what if the plant gets damaged.in the spider enclosures.?
Do not use fertilizer. I use organic soil and all my plants are growing in the terrarium. Like in nature. Nothing wrong with that. As @Arachnoclown said: fertilizer is not good. I sometimes used the “wrong” soil. With those little pellets in there. I was always lucky and the fertilizer was not strong enough to hurt my tarantulas. You can try to pick most of the pellets out. That works too.

Soulman

Do not use fertilizer. I use organic soil and all my plants are growing in the terrarium. Like in nature. Nothing wrong with that. As @Arachnoclown said: fertilizer is not good. I sometimes used the “wrong” soil. With those little pellets in there. I was always lucky and the fertilizer was not strong enough to hurt my tarantulas. You can try to pick most of the pellets out. That works too.
Like I said ,I can see it maybe a problem.half the time it's because people don't like the look of plastic.but you can get plastic that looks real.hope it works out Konstantin.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, live plants in a terrarium-setting are one of the reasons I got into the T hobby, but all of my initial research has shown it's more trouble than it's worth and Ts are easier kept without live plants, custodians, etc lol but it;'s obviously not impossible

With my current Avic Project, live plants IS a consideration for a future stage

Konstantin

3 Year Member
It's not a bad idea, but it gets complicated

My other hobby is aquascaping, mainly ripariums, google that if you want to know what exactly a riparium is, and while live plants mean natural beauty they also bring a lot more work.

Not mine
View attachment 45188

Requires constant maintenance to keep it looking clean and nice
Hi
Thats cool.
My other hobby is aquascaping too.I used to run 6 low tech scapes but as you say its too much workeven with low tech and not enough time to do the weekly waterchanges and maintenance. Now Im down to one and one neglected overgrown shrimp tank.Ts are easier maintenance.
If you not a member will highly recommended this forum
Plants do not need fertiliser to survive they make their own food via photosynthesis .Its just a suplement.Anyway the cuttings are in water and not potted yet .
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
Thats cool.
My other hobby is aquascaping too.I used to run 6 low tech scapes but as you say its too much workeven with low tech and not enough time to do the weekly waterchanges and maintenance. Now Im down to one and one neglected overgrown shrimp tank.Ts are easier maintenance.
If you not a member will highly recommended this forum
Plants do not need fertiliser to survive they make their own food via photosynthesis .Its just a suplement.Anyway the cuttings are in water and not potted yet .
Regards Konstantin

I had 20 tanks running a one point, mostly low tech nano tanks with various fw shrimp with emersed plants, and then I got into ripariums. I'm down to 2 tanks now and about to set my 23g back up with Endler's guppies and amano shrimp - the shrimp will dwarf the guppies! I kept my marginal (riparium) plants alive under my tank lights in buckets for the last 2 years lol

Live plants add additional biofiltration and actually keep the tanks cleaner, in my experience - they live off of fish waste! Of course you can get into trouble with ferts and algae but you can usually fix that with photocycle or CO2

I'll look at that link. I was pretty active on http://scapeclub.org/ once upon a time

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, live plants in a terrarium-setting are one of the reasons I got into the T hobby, but all of my initial research has shown it's more trouble than it's worth and Ts are easier kept without live plants, custodians, etc lol but it;'s obviously not impossible

With my current Avic Project, live plants IS a consideration for a future stage
The research shows that. It is not all right. If you talk to keepers that use a natural setup they will tell you it is very easy. Just try and go for it. You will be surprised of the positive outcome.:)

Latest posts