• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live foods for winter

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
Hi i own a T (chilli Rose) and a pacman, both obviously needing live foods. I had crickets for them both in my room but some got out and my parents flipped and said they had to be kept in the shed. where they all died as it get really cold in there. So i need a staple food that can stay in my room and not escape or stay in the shed and live while its cold. I have some big earth worms at the moment for the pacman ( i think they are night crawlers/ lob worms) I know there are wax worms but you cant use these as a staple for the pacman as they are too fatty. But good to dust in d3 calcium. My local pet shop said locust as they don't breed if they get out. But they are quite big. I was thinking dubia roaches. Are theses easy to maintain just until spring/summer time when the crickets wont die in the shed

Thanks Alex

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Dubia are very easy to maintain. They aren't good climbers so they don't usually get out if housed correctly. I have mine in a big sterilite tub type thing. I have packing tape around the top to make it even slicker in case one of them happen to make it to the top. I've also heard of people smearing Vaseline around the top of the tub. I don't even give mine substrate. Just a bunch of egg cartons, a food dish, and various fruits and veggies. They are very hardy and easy to care for.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
dubia are the best easy to breed and practically incapable of escape. the males wings are useless and can not use them to fly. Also if you keep them in glass or smooth plastic container (note can not be rough surface plastic) then they can not climb it.

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
cheers, i got myself a cricket tank which should be okay. I was looking for Dubia roaches but the reptile shop is shut on wednesday so had to go to pets at home ( the american equivalent of pet smart) but they didnt have any so i got crickets and a tank which is really good actually by exo terra :)