• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little T keeps climbing the glass and hanging from top

Mystery33

3 Year Member
I just got my 2.5in. B Smithi. In today, he's got water Eco earthe substrate it's about 70* degrees and maybe 50-50 humidity. Any help to why he's doing this!!!

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Can you post a picture of your setup? Is the eco-earth wet at all? My B. smithi seems to prefer to stay on the dry side of its enclosure unless he's going into molt.

Mystery33

3 Year Member
Can you post a picture of your setup? Is the eco-earth wet at all? My B. smithi seems to prefer to stay on the dry side of its enclosure unless he's going into molt.
The ECO is actually a little damp. It. It much at all! IM in west Texas and even though its 29 degrees outside we've got the heater on so the humidity is low

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
That may be it; sometimes they're funny about their substrate being wet. Or it could just be because he's just got there and hasn't had time to settle in yet. Give him a week or so and see if he stops climbing the walls.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Species from drier regions do not like moist substrate. 70 degrees feels cooler on moist substrate. If the spider can hang from the lid in any way, that's a big problem. They can get stuck and dangle by a leg all day.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got my 2.5in. B Smithi. In today, he's got water Eco earthe substrate it's about 70* degrees and maybe 50-50 humidity. Any help to why he's doing this!!!
Hello
With all my brachylelma,I keep them dry since they originate from a dry arid area. I fill up the enclosure with enough substrate so that it can't climb and fall,so I would say around 2/3 if possible. I keep the substrate dry,they just hate wet Areas and I supply a water dish. When they are happy,these beauties eat a lot I have even had them eating up to molt time. Also,I do not add decor that can cause an injury to a specimen.

volcanica

3 Year Member
My neighbor gave me a tarantula. I'm not sure of the species, age, or gender. I've had it about 2 weeks. This morning I found it hanging from the metal cage lid. what should i do and how do i make sure i am treating it right?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the hobby.:) If you post a picture of the tarantula and its cage, I'm sure someone will be able to identify it and then help you with it's needs.

volcanica

3 Year Member
Thank you so much. I have posted pictures. Any and all help would be appreciated.
22092472_1627685260622107_1719967194_o.jpg

Shane

3 Year Member
The same thing has happened to my Costa Rican Striped Knee. It stressed her out so much she now has a bald spot on her abdomen from flicking hairs. My terarium had the same metal mesh lid as the one in this picture. I replaced the terrarium with a new one and am cutting a piece of acrylic to mount as a top (the new enclosure is front-opening). Hopefully once I ventilate the acrylic, it will remove this possible issue.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The T might be cold, trying to sun itself by approaching a light source. Try setting up a hot dry side of the cage and a cool wet side to see what it likes.

Obviously, the heater should be no contacting and never under the cage, b top or side only.

FWIW, all my critters love it at 80.