• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

little scare

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Went to feed all the T's last night and found my son's recently molted D. pentalore "Hobbes" was in a loose death curl. I had my son quickly rehouse him to a new enclosure, and add a water dish. He then gently nudged Hobbes to the water dish and he curled up in the water. A few stressful hours later my son came to my room and said he was moving around on his own, but after he would move a bit he'd curl back up, more like a stress curl now though.

So we overflowed the water dish and we'll check on him this afternoon and see how he's doing. Hopefully he just needed some hydration, my son has been really lax on cleaning and filling the water dishes. I'm thinking this might be a hard lesson learned that he needs to fill the water at least every other day.

If he hasn't recovered when i get home i'll spin up an ICU and see if we can get him back to the healthy semi aggressive T he used to be.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thanks guys. I'll find out in an hour when my son gets home from school ;) my guess, since he now has a full water dish and was active(ish) last night, is he'll be fine.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hobbes is fine. Glad my suspicion of dehydration was correct.
20170125_211928.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great news. I find mine like a full water bowl, if it's empty she'll sit in it until I fill it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks all :)

Great news. I find mine like a full water bowl, if it's empty she'll sit in it until I fill it.
This one spent almost all of his time in his burrow until this incident. He hasn't used his burrow much at all since we rehoused him, he's been webbing up trip lines and whatnot pretty well though. I'll be 100% confident he's recovered once he eats.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This one spent almost all of his time in his burrow until this incident. He hasn't used his burrow much at all since we rehoused him, he's been webbing up trip lines and whatnot pretty well though. I'll be 100% confident he's recovered once he eats.

That's what mine did when she was smaller but now she's out and about all the time.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's what mine did when she was smaller but now she's out and about all the time.
hopefully this one will be too then. How's the temperament of yours? Hobbes is more curious i'd call it than aggressive. he doesn't flinch or bolt when you put pick up the enclosure like most do. and he's always in the way when we're cleaning or watering, attacking the water dish or trying to take the tongs away.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
hopefully this one will be too then. How's the temperament of yours? Hobbes is more curious i'd call it than aggressive. he doesn't flinch or bolt when you put pick up the enclosure like most do. and he's always in the way when we're cleaning or watering, attacking the water dish or trying to take the tongs away.

That's exactly like mine although now she's in a bigger container she just sits and watches.

Latest posts