• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

List of great species to start with

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
a lot of first time potential tarantula owners are curious as to what species they should get as a first tarantula, I am going to scrape together a list of species that would be a good reference guide for beginners. I will create some threads on the care of individual species I am raising, but this is merely a list, it is not in any order, nor is it the only list others have their own opinions. Well I will now begin:

1. Euathlus Sp. red
2. Eupalaestrus campestratus
3. Brachypelma albopilosum
4. Grammastola pulchripes
5. Brachypelma hamorii
6. Grammastola pulchra
7. Brachypelma klaasi
8. Brachypelma emilia
9. Brachypelma auratum
10. Phrixotrichus scrofa
11. Aphonopelma hentzi
12. Euathlus Sp. yellow
13. Lasiadora parahybana
14. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
15. Aphonopelma chalcodes
16. Brachypelma boehmei
17. Brachypelma baumgarteni
18. Thrixopelma cyaneolum
19. Euathlus parvulus
20. Brachypelma schroederi

Honorable mentions:
1. Caribena versicolor
2. Avicularia avicularia
3. Acanthoscurria geniculata
4. Nhandu chromatus
5. Brachypelma vagans
6. Bumba cabocla

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice list but aren’t Nhandu Chromatus really skittish in general? I’ve never owned one but I’ve heard a few people say this :)

1 of my 3 was a lunatic when it was small, it would run in circles when I opened the container but it's calmer now. They are more likely to run for cover than attack.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd also add L Klugi to that list. My first was a versicolor, which being arboreal and having bad info caresheets was a lot more challenging.

I suspect the entire Lasiodora genus would be great choices as well.

Mine were all slings when I got them. They're cheaper, safer and it's lots of fun to watch them grow.

Here's a video on starter slings.

It's kinda hard to find fault with that.

Here's some food for thought on first tarantulas in general. This fellow seems to be fairly logical.

Latest posts