• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Liphistius not making trapdoor

Mygalomorphic

I've had my Liphistius for several months now and it refuses to make a trap door. It lives in one of the pre-made holes I make with a pencil and has done nothing else. The substrate is about 50% red clay and the half is peat moss/sand. It's eating well and seems to be fine otherwise but I'm not sure what else to do to encourage it to build a door. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First I'd like to preface this by saying I do not own or keep any trapdoors.

I just thought that maybe loose moss and/or leaf litter might encourage it to use those to make a door.

Maybe you don't have his preferred building materials in there

MBullock

3 Year Member
I've learned over the years that making premade burrows for trapdoors isnt the best idea.

It's really better to let them do it themselves, it can take several weeks for them to burrow. You could probably get one to start burrowing against a popsicle stick or flat stone, they seem to need something dense and sturdy to 'bump into' which tells them it's a suitable dig site.

also, adding a loose thin layer of sub does work for stimulating door construction.

Liphistius are kinda touchy because their natural habit is to seek a slope, alot of euctenizidae share that behavior, too, especially aptostichus

Mygalomorphic

Thank you for the information. I did make a slope but I think the pre-made hole is what messed everything up. I'll give it a little more time but may need to coax it out and fill that hole in so it makes it's own.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Thank you for the information. I did make a slope but I think the pre-made hole is what messed everything up. I'll give it a little more time but may need to coax it out and fill that hole in so it makes it's own.
try to fill the hole with loose sub, it may help

Latest posts