• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Lepsis" suggests some interesting designs

Basilisk

So there's this terrarium called a "lepsis" that's supposed to be used to grow edible bugs for humans, but all I can think is that its sleek exterior design and geometric scaffolding would make for a really interesting arboreal tarantula setup. Of course it would take some (or a lot of) tweaking, but can you imagine that green structure all webbed up?

lepsis-1.jpg

Basilisk

Wait… go back a minute… Edible bugs for humans? Whaaaaaaaaaa???

There are a lot of cultures that eat bugs. Pound for pound they're supposedly one of the most efficient types of protein, and are easy to grow in areas that won't support traditional agriculture.

That looks awesome. I can’t find where to buy it though...

It's not in production yet, the discussions about it were back in 2012 so I think it was more of a concept than anything. I think it would be possible to rig something similar with 3d printing to make the green matrix thing and some hand finishing on the enclosure part. Based on the promotional material it's made mostly of the green scaffolding, a glass enclosure, and a decorative wooden base. Not exactly complicated.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
There are a lot of cultures that eat bugs. Pound for pound they're supposedly one of the most efficient types of protein, and are easy to grow in areas that won't support traditional agriculture.

It's not in production yet, the discussions about it were back in 2012 so I think it was more of a concept than anything. I think it would be possible to rig something similar with 3d printing to make the green matrix thing and some hand finishing on the enclosure part. Based on the promotional material it's made mostly of the green scaffolding, a glass enclosure, and a decorative wooden base. Not exactly complicated.

I can’t believe no one bought into an in-kitchen bug farm!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wouldn't want that stinking thing in my kitchen...obviously once someone smells the stench coming out of that thing they will lose their appetite. That's why it's never been in production.

Latest posts