• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Legal Action Against Palp Friction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself and other tarantula keepers are looking in to taking legal action against Palp Friction Tarantulas.

My own story is that I preordered a Seladonia for delivery in October 2021. It's almost April 2022 and the owner has done nothing but lie and make excuses for why she couldn't ship my order and, at last, ghosted me entirely. She won't refund my money and I'm not the only person from whom she took hundreds of dollars from and then ghosted.

I have suspicions that some of her behavior is racially and politically motivated, but have no solid proof other than her lack of response entirely to customers who have more ethnic sounding names.

Right now their store seems to be down, but in the event it goes back up, do NOT order from them! Their license posted on their site is expired, even. There are so many customers on social media who commented about not getting their orders from 2021. Some commented were even deleted by palp friction.

If anyone else made an order with them and never got their order, please reply. We're trying to see what steps to take next to get refunded and possibly take legal action to see she's tried for fraud.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning and welcome to the forum.
I am very sorry you had a bad experience although you might want to introduce yourself in the introduction thread.....

Lentulus

3 Year Member
None of us know who you are. Youre just another single post member that could be a rival of theirs. None of this is helpful to anyone. One phone call to your bank would get you your money back.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
None of us know who you are. Youre just another single post member that could be a rival of theirs. None of this is helpful to anyone. One phone call to your bank would get you your money back.
This

Why would you come here to grind your axe @DisgruntledOtter are you actually looking to find members for your class or just spread ill will? If the former, you might actually want to confer with an attorney as this is not the way to mount a class action.

MBullock

3 Year Member
You would all lose because of the racially motivated remark claim unless you have proof.

Then you'd be counter-sued for Libel. (and possibly slander if you're recorded saying it, too!)

I strongly suggest taking time to learn the laws. this will take you hours. Or at least it will take me hours, it'll probably take you days or even months hahaha..

My nephew also didn't receive his last order from them, although nothing on the price level of a seladonia. He went to his bank, explained the situation, and they took the appropriate action to get him his money back even though he'd been waiting for about ten months at that point. I would recommend you try and do the same.

I'd also advise against posting anything online anywhere about the suit past some variant of "we're looking for other people affected by the actions of this company, please contact us or XYZ attorney's office who is handling the case for more information or to participate." Posting accusations against the other party (even when they're true) online can sometimes get a case thrown out of court and possibly get you countersued as well.

Side note: I didn't even know PF was still around. Their website has been glitchy and down most of the time for like 2 years, I thought they'd gone under a while back.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I have suspicions that some of her behavior is racially and politically motivated, but have no solid proof other than her lack of response entirely to customers who have more ethnic sounding names.
I am sorry you lost your money and did not get the tarantula. It shouldn’t happen but it does. And who knows why. But you lost any credibility with me when you drew the race card. It undermines real cases of racism.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/publishing-information-harms-anothers-reputation

It is more than just deformation etc.

if you find yourself about to publish something that could harm another's reputation, you should spend some time familiarizing yourself with the various laws that protect reputation.

Moreover, putting aside the legal implications of what you publish, statements that upset others are more likely to draw their ire and result in a lawsuit, even when they don't actually have a viable legal claim. Depending on what you say and how you say it, you will likely need to be concerned with two different, but related, legal doctrines that aim to protect against reputational harm:

Defamation is the general term for a legal claim involving injury to one's reputation caused by false statements of fact and includes both libel and slander.

False light is similar to defamation. Claims for false light generally involve untrue implications rather than directly false statements.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
otter.gif

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You would all lose because of the racially motivated remark claim unless you have proof.

Then you'd be counter-sued for Libel. (and possibly slander if you're recorded saying it, too!)

I strongly suggest taking time to learn the laws. this will take you hours. Or at least it will take me hours, it'll probably take you days or even months hahaha..

You're so hot..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.