• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Last time you got threat postured

timc

3 Year Member
Just a little thread to drum up conversation.

My Nandhu chromatus will be due for a rehouse after her next molt and I’m honestly dreading it. During her last rehouse there was a bunch of hair kicking followed by an absolutely unbudging threat posture. I’m telling you those back four legs were like French fries in week old McDonald’s grease, just stuck. I got a couple slaps but after a while she went where she was supposed to. Thankfully. But it got me thinking, I hadn’t actually received a threat posture in a couple years before that. Not even from my OBT, who was actually really nice during her last rehouse.

So that got me wanting to pose the question to my fellow hobbyists, when was the last time you got a threat posture, from what species, and what were the circumstances? It’s a pretty unique situation to T keepers and I’m pretty interested in hearing what everyone has to say. I’m sure there’s some pretty fun replies awaiting!

Tarantulafeets

Last time I got threat postured was from my Lyrognathus giannispasotoi, when I was rehousing it from a way too small enclosure. And before that, my female A chalcodes from opening the lid. The L giannispasotoi now bolts back underground now that it has a hide, but all my ts are mostly laid back.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My B. hamorii - Samwise Gamgee. He was a really chill laid back baby for a year. I then opened the lid to feed it about 2 weeks post molt and I had a brand new Sam. It was pretty funny and cute. Ever since then he's been feisty.
potato-po-tay-toes.gif

Jeef

Saturday April 10th 2021. I had just got some juvie tarantulas in the mail. My A. johnnycashi did not appreciate me taking the paper towels out of her cup. Then, I tried to get the paper towel off of her and she swatted at me.

She hasn't given me a lick of trouble since then. She's molting as I type this, so we'll see if that keeps up or not in the near future.

Metallattorney

I re-housed one of my harpactira chrysogasters the other day and it was not having it. In general I do not get threat-posed often, so it is pretty memorable when it occurs.

My N. coloratovillosus deposits daily dumps in her water dish then threat postures and even lunges forward to bite whenever I have to change the water. She's the worst tempered tarantula that I have- even more so than my OWs!

Spotted Bull

This morning. My female Aphonopelma chalcodes usually comes out during the morning and kinda looks around and stares at me while I work. So when she hadn't been out by 3 pm, I gently eased a paint brush under her hide and touched her back leg. Immediately started kicking hair, turned around and ran out at me and threw those front legs up. I shut the door and waited. She got tired and went back to her hide. Half hour later she was back out by the glass.

TokeHound

B. hamorii sling. It was the cutest thing in the world, I was trying to feed it and it was like "No! Away from me, you fiend! *slap then threat posture* I am teh terror! Fear meee!"

NorseDad

I've only been threat postured one time in my two years keeping. I admit I have only really begun delving into the more infamous old worlds (picking up several chilobrachis species and more pokies next month).

My A. geniculata juvenile was the only one to threat pose me. It was during a rehouse, and it was my fault. I had tipped the smaller enclosure too far while trying to transfer, and some substrate landed on her. Then I got the threat pose and the slapping at the paint brush. I just waited a few minutes for her to calm down.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Haha! Look familiar , OP? My pose in a long time. I think if I was an insect, I'd definitely be terrified. She stayed like that for hours!

Caused by being startled by a Dubia touching her leg. It was feeding time and the snap of the Exo Terra door lock mechanism must not have woke her up. Completely took me by surprise and about had to clean my shorts!

Beautiful girl raised from a sling.

Attachments

• 20210622_182943.jpg
    20210622_182943.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts