• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lasiodora parahybana sling not eating

RedManFoe

Hi, I am a new tarantula owner and I got a baby LP that is around 2cm and I tried feeding it the first time today after 3 days and it is not interested in food. I got crickets and smashed them a bit so it is easier for her to eat since they are a bit bigger than her but she ran away from it. It's been a while now and she still didn't even touch it... should I be worried any tips?

Nurse Ratchet

Hello and welcome to the forum. Tom Moran has a two part indepth video on YouTube on sling care. I believe feeding is covered in part 2. I have not tried it, but he suggests putting in a cricket leg and keeping one side of enclosure damp. They should scavenge at that size.
Good luck.

RedManFoe

Hello and welcome to the forum. Tom Moran has a two part indepth video on YouTube on sling care. I believe feeding is covered in part 2. I have not tried it, but he suggests putting in a cricket leg and keeping one side of enclosure damp. They should scavenge at that size.
Good luck.
I shall watch him then thank you for advice <3

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
What about cutting up a segment of meal worm and leaving both ends open. Besides being potentially messy, would this be easier for the small sling to eat? I ask as I may try my hand at itsy bitsy slings.

Noodlelove

What about cutting up a segment of meal worm and leaving both ends open. Besides being potentially messy, would this be easier for the small sling to eat? I ask as I may try my hand at itsy bitsy slings.
I'm trying this with my little jessica. I'm really concerned she's not eating her abdomen look small. Just took this picture. In her container I put a mealworm with his head cut off. She is really concerning me. Although she eats regularly I don't see her abdomen swelling and I'm afraid she's starving. I've been feeding her mealworms and before that she had getting fresh killed crickets and killed flies. How does she look to you any suggestions? I'm just such a worried mom and I don't want to lose her. Thank you in advance PS she has plenty of webbing that she just put up but she's so skinny.

Attachments

• PXL_20220401_014236858.jpg
    PXL_20220401_014236858.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 7

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Some tarantulas are finicky eaters. She doesn’t look too thin to my eyes.

Maybe a picture of her enclosure. Make sure water is available.

She could be fasting. A couple of messages I quickly looked at showed other people have had similar experiences, although advice suggested molting, fasting just not hungry.

Noodlelove

She could be fasting. A couple of messages I quickly looked at showed other people have had similar experiences, although advice suggested molting, fasting just not hungry.
I'm absolutely making sure she has water and I'm super happy you mentioned that because it's very important. Thank you for caring so much.

Noodlelove

I'm absolutely making sure she has water and I'm super happy you mentioned that because it's very important. Thank you for caring so much.

Attachments

• PXL_20220401_110140752.jpg
    PXL_20220401_110140752.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Noodlelove

Hi and welcome to the forum .
Hi Lawrence. Nice to make your acquaintance.

Attachments

• PXL_20220401_110140752.jpg
    PXL_20220401_110140752.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7