• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

US Lasiodora parahybana and B Smith’s for sale

LKF

3 Year Member
For Minneapolis area only (I don’t want to ship these girls)! LP has checkering on abdomen that started when she was a juvenile. Both females. Text me at(906) 360-5991 if interested. $100 each
021F8698-A160-4741-B09A-BB9A68C051AA.jpeg
B646616C-1186-41A7-8D99-34BEBCB0CFCB.jpeg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The L. parahybana's abdomen appears to be of an okay size for the species but also appears wrinkled like a raisin somewhat.....usually consistent with dehydration. I'm not saying she is....I'm just wondering why she looks that way. The only time I've seen white spots on a tarantulas abdomen like that is from a type of mold/fungus that grows on them.... I could be wrong.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
is vermiculite still popular in the US? It was ditched a long time ago in the UK in favour of coco fibre (coir).

I have had Ts on vermiculite that can react badly and it is also a medium that can get really dusty.

In its defense, it is light, non toxic usually and has good moisture retention qualities but personally I dont use it anymore, not even in a mix.

Just an observation. I am not saying it is wrong, just curious about its popularity in other parts of the world :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
is vermiculite still popular in the US? It was ditched a long time ago in the UK in favour of coco fibre (coir).

I have had Ts on vermiculite that can react badly and it is also a medium that can get really dusty.

In its defense, it is light, non toxic usually and has good moisture retention qualities but personally I dont use it anymore, not even in a mix.

Just an observation. I am not saying it is wrong, just curious about its popularity in other parts of the world :)

Some people still use it here in the US. I believe DTG (deadly tarantula girl) uses it in her tarantula housing and some others like to use it as a mix to help hold moisture in their substrate. I have used it and never had a problem but I use the coconut coir now. Sometimes I add a little vermiculite to the mix for the species that require a bit more humidity but other than that, they do fine without it. I'm not against using it....I just don't buy it much anymore.

LKF

3 Year Member
The L parahybana’s abdomen isn’t dehydrated or moldy—she started getting the checker marks early on -we’ve had her since a spiderling. She started with one mark and then every time she molts she gets more.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The L parahybana’s abdomen isn’t dehydrated or moldy—she started getting the checker marks early on -we’ve had her since a spiderling. She started with one mark and then every time she molts she gets more.

Hmmm......I wonder what could be causing it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Straight vermiculite can, according to some sources, cause irritation to terrestrial species. It's fine to use with arboreal species because they don't touch it as well as a bottom layer.

Even a tiny bit of vermiculite mixed into substrate at the surface will literally drive my L klugi up one wall and down the other one....over & over again.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Straight vermiculite can, according to some sources, cause irritation to terrestrial species. It's fine to use with arboreal species because they don't touch it as well as a bottom layer.

Even a tiny bit of vermiculite mixed into substrate at the surface will literally drive my L klugi up one wall and down the other one....over & over again.

Good to know! I wasn't aware that vermiculite has this effect on terrestrial species. Thank you for sharing this information! :)

MAGAkitten

The L. parahybana's abdomen appears to be of an okay size for the species but also appears wrinkled like a raisin somewhat.....usually consistent with dehydration. I'm not saying she is....I'm just wondering why she looks that way. The only time I've seen white spots on a tarantulas abdomen like that is from a type of mold/fungus that grows on them.... I could be wrong.
Girl knows her stuff ;)

Latest posts