• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am looking to get one. I was hoping to get some help from those of you whom have been keeping them. What is the temperament like, anyone know anything about the venom, how much humidity.
I am thinking a 20gal long turned on end, and planted as a vivarium; like the vivarium I did with my T. stirmi, Precious.

At what size do the females begin to get the black color? Would a 2" specimen that is still brown, most likely be male?

Thank you all for any input you can offer.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry i cant be much help but There was One in a Shop near me today. I asked What They were like and The man said They are fast and Have a nasty bite. They put red dots on The enclosures of more aggresive spiders in The Shop and That One had a red dot . Im sure Its fine for someone as experienced as yourself but Not What i want for a pet.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very similar to Violaceps. Very shy, and reclusive.
I keep mine in a vert 10 at 60-70%. Unfortunately, I haven't had he since 2" therefore I can't honestly say when they get black

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello what I've found with my juvie is, that at this point in time its burrowing. Was a bit worried, but was assured its normal. It has a huge appetite, takes two crickets easily. Other than that, I've been treating it like my avic. As for the colour, at 2 inches it will still show prominent brown. If I remember correctly, males stay brown females will start to get darker on the legs each molt.

Cliff

3 Year Member
Hello, so at 2-3 inches will this species still show more of a brown - even if a female? I was assured my specimen is a female but it is still showing a distinct brown color. Just curious as I'm sure many people have gone through the same thing with this species.

#Angela#

3 Year Member
I have a mature male Borneo Black. He is very reclusive, and can get defensive. I have been fortunate in my rehousing processes, and he has been cooperative, but I chose my "moving days" carefully. Before the terminal molt he was pretty defensive. He was about 1inch when I got him, and he was 2.5inches before the last molt. Now he's a very leggy 5inches. He has had zero darkening. Hope that helps you!

Poec54

3 Year Member
Hello, so at 2-3 inches will this species still show more of a brown - even if a female? I was assured my specimen is a female but it is still showing a distinct brown color. Just curious as I'm sure many people have gone through the same thing with this species.

At 2" males will start turning light brown and females black. Takes out the guess work. If you have a brown/beige juvenile Borneo, it's not a female. Females are never that light.

They're shy as are other Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus (but unlike Poecilotheria, who are usually out). Borneo's are avid eaters. They prefer to avoid trouble, but can be defensive if cornered. They're capable of fast dashes, so don't give them the opportunity to get out of their cage.

As far as venom, you don't want to get bitten by any world, especially arboreals.

Latest posts