• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L.P sling won’t eat (possible pre molt?)

ArtyJS

So lately my L. Parahybana hasn’t accepted any food item. The first two weeks of having it it ate very small crickets. I feed it once a week. But several weeks now, it hasn’t been eating. I’ve tried small dubia nymphs, small mealworms and today I tried to give it 2 flightless fruit flies. The flies literally almost walk over it. 2 weeks prior I captured it digging burrows and staying in them. It still wouldn’t accept food. I keep the substrate slightly moist and the temperature in my room is 23C (73F). It also has a small dark discoloration on his back (picture attached)
Is this possible premolt behavior or should I be worried? This is my first T and I would not be happy to see it die
D40F6591-D91A-41EA-9373-F874D4477F09.jpeg

E4CB82B4-7819-41AC-B5CF-A49B9BB43DD7.jpeg

Nunua

3 Year Member
The sling is very fat, so that's why it's not eating. Just remove all uneaten food from the enclosure. When it gets in premolt, the whole abdomen starts darkening. Even slings can go over a month without food, just waiting the new exoskeleton to grow under the old one. It's good to remember that a fat tarantula is in higher risk of having internal ruptures, so it's not the best thing to feed them too much. It's totally ok to stop feeding after the abdomen gets a bit plump, as long as they have fresh water available. :)

Therefore, you should add a water dish in its enclosure - a piece of painkiller blister pack (washed) or bottle cap will be fine, tarantulas won't drown. Also, there should be a hide (a piece of cork bark, fake leaves, moss... Anything the little guy could hide under to.

Last edited:

ArtyJS

I’m glad it’s okay, I was very worried. I’ll add a bottle cap with some water in it in the corner. Thank you so much! Turns out it was dark before when I got it and it probably molted but I didn’t see it. I haven’t found the exoskeleton but I’ll change the enclosure and make sure everything is fresh and good :)

Nunua

3 Year Member
It may have molted or it had a darker abdomen just because it was smaller after molt and not filled up with liquid :) And if it makes you feel any easier, my tiny Brachypelma auratum didn't eat for 57 days when in premolt :D

Latest posts