• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kent uk jumping spider feeding help requested

southern

Hi all,

This is a long shot I know...I received my first P. Regius L5 spider for Xmas. It's molted since it arrived on 17th December, so doing well.

I had house fly casters with it, but only 1 has hatched, so this poor little fella is starving hungry. I've ordered more casters but they won't arrive till next week, and it's not eating fruit flies as they're too small for it now.

Does anyone know anywhere in nw kent/se london where I can get live house flies from?

I know I can't feed crickets because of the likelihood of injury to my spider.

Any help appreciated!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all,

This is a long shot I know...I received my first P. Regius L5 spider for Xmas. It's molted since it arrived on 17th December, so doing well.

I had house fly casters with it, but only 1 has hatched, so this poor little fella is starving hungry. I've ordered more casters but they won't arrive till next week, and it's not eating fruit flies as they're too small for it now.

Does anyone know anywhere in nw kent/se london where I can get live house flies from?

I know I can't feed crickets because of the likelihood of injury to my spider.

Any help appreciated!
You can try waxworms or mini mealworms.. You can get these at a local pet shop.. Ours have even eaten the dermeste bugs that come in the livefood containers ( to keep it clean)
It's the only thing I can suggest that would be a good meal for your little one
Hope that helps :)

southern

You can try waxworms or mini mealworms.. You can get these at a local pet shop.. Ours have even eaten the dermeste bugs that come in the livefood containers ( to keep it clean)
It's the only thing I can suggest that would be a good meal for your little one
Hope that helps :)
Thank you, I'll see what I can find!

This is my first experience with tiny spiders, I used to keep Ts and they're far easier to find food for :D

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally I use bean weevils, because I have them & they are easy & cheap to keep & the right size. But in the past I have used fruit flies from an ebay seller. They were sent quickly & provided live food for almost a month.

southern

Personally I use bean weevils, because I have them & they are easy & cheap to keep & the right size. But in the past I have used fruit flies from an ebay seller. They were sent quickly & provided live food for almost a month.
I don't think anything near me stocks bean weevil, but I'll check.

I got some fruit flies out of desperation but it won't touch them :(

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Bean weevils will take a month or two to build up a working colony of. I currently have several, but started out with a small started batch of a few beans & some live fruit flies.

southern

Bean weevils will take a month or two to build up a working colony of. I currently have several, but started out with a small started batch of a few beans & some live fruit flies.
Thank you, I think I'd need a few more spiders to justify a colony.

I used to feed roaches to my tarantulas as that was cost effective and low maintenance

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you, I think I'd need a few more spiders to justify a colony.

I used to feed roaches to my tarantulas as that was cost effective and low maintenance

Not with bean weevils. The only food they need is a bag of Black Eyed Peas, which I paid £1.50 for from Asda yesterday. No water is needed, you just sieve the peas every couple of months, remove 50% of the old peas, add 50% new peas & off you go again. A bag of peas covers me for 5 or 6 cleans.

Edited to add, I remove the kitchen roll & as many of the live beans as possible when I clean the peas & return them to cleaned peas.

Capture.JPG

Latest posts