• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping the lid on!

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Hi all

Basically I have a nice posh spacious and secure tank in the cellar that once housed a snake. It is mighty dusty (and has a dead house spider in it, which doesn't bode well...) so needs a good scrub before it can be used for housing a T.

If I cleaned it with the same stuff as I clean my dishes, that would be ok wouldn't it? So long as I don't use bleach or anything that harsh I'm guessing I will be fine? Or am I wrong? I want it clean, but not if it leaves behind something that will kill my T.

Thanks all!

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
(Changed the thread name rather than starting a new thread)

I know there is a solution, an easy one, but I'm struggling to accurately tell Google what I want so I'm getting bad hits, hopefully I can put it better here!

I have a tank, it's an old (well cleaned) fish tank (that never had a fish in it and has only had snakes in it a while ago). The top is open and I have a piece of wood the same size as the tank, so that was easy, add some holes, add a book or two to stop the T muscling its way out, all good!

Except I'd like to have a bit more piece of mind, so I want to add a little border to the lid, so even if knocked it only moves a tiny bit, basically it will be impossible for there to be an opening (due to me putting the lid on off centre). That's also fine, I can stick wood to wood, no probs. But then I thought, wouldn't it be better to be able to slide the lid off so I can only open a small amount of the tank to the room if I need to. I'm therefore trying to find some... catches, that swivel. I feel I see them all the time, but now I look I can't find any. Basically in my minds eye the are 2 inch long little bits of wood, which pivot near one end, and you would 'normally' use them for holding cupboard doors closed.

I'd like to add these to the edge of the lid, then when they are 'down' they will stop the lid moving, and when 'up' I can slide the lid to keep the T safely contained while I drop in/remove food and water.

Can anyone tell me what the thing I'm describing is called? I've tried catches, latches, swivel fasteners, all get tons of hits but not what I want. Plan B is a baby-proofing type thing, but I'd rather do it as above if possible.

Any suggestions or names? :)

Thanks

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I know what you're talking about but I can't think of the name...
I know home depot or Lowes will have it though... The little winged simple quarter turn fastener thingies. That's the scientific name! ;) :T:

Therasoid

3 Year Member
(Changed the thread name rather than starting a new thread)

I know there is a solution, an easy one, but I'm struggling to accurately tell Google what I want so I'm getting bad hits, hopefully I can put it better here!

I have a tank, it's an old (well cleaned) fish tank (that never had a fish in it and has only had snakes in it a while ago). The top is open and I have a piece of wood the same size as the tank, so that was easy, add some holes, add a book or two to stop the T muscling its way out, all good!

Except I'd like to have a bit more piece of mind, so I want to add a little border to the lid, so even if knocked it only moves a tiny bit, basically it will be impossible for there to be an opening (due to me putting the lid on off centre). That's also fine, I can stick wood to wood, no probs. But then I thought, wouldn't it be better to be able to slide the lid off so I can only open a small amount of the tank to the room if I need to. I'm therefore trying to find some... catches, that swivel. I feel I see them all the time, but now I look I can't find any. Basically in my minds eye the are 2 inch long little bits of wood, which pivot near one end, and you would 'normally' use them for holding cupboard doors closed.

I'd like to add these to the edge of the lid, then when they are 'down' they will stop the lid moving, and when 'up' I can slide the lid to keep the T safely contained while I drop in/remove food and water.

Can anyone tell me what the thing I'm describing is called? I've tried catches, latches, swivel fasteners, all get tons of hits but not what I want. Plan B is a baby-proofing type thing, but I'd rather do it as above if possible.

Any suggestions or names? :)

Thanks
In the picture, the center is called a hinged hasp, the staple is large enough to use a small lock if you choose. Another type hasp with a twist barrel for latching is a hinged purse hasp, I get mine at Tandy Leather when making custom purses.
Hope the info is helpful.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423679335060.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423679335060.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 16

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Thanks both. I'm looking less for some sort of toggle (I can see the benefit for security with it latching, but it's not what I'm going for) and more a sort of drop down lip.

I've done an amazing sketch/oil painting on my ipad, the colours, scale and in fact everything about it are not true to life, but I hope you get the idea. The top is the lid, the bottom the tank, the 2 bits the 'thingies', one up and one down. If I put them both up the lid will slide away from us; if both down it won't move.

I'm going to swing by some sort of home improvement shop and see what I can see!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 10

Therasoid

3 Year Member
OK, I didn't understand whet you were referring to.
If you have a scrap piece of PVC pipe, 3/4" or 1", about 2" in length. Make one cut lengthwise and heat it til soft. Then open it in a C shape, fit it to size and let it cool. I've seen these used to keep lids secure on aquariums. Only drawback is they need to be taken off and on to remove or slide the top.

Latest posts