• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping more than one diversipes together?

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
So, i got a little itty bitty avic div as one of my first tarantulas (along with a curly hair thats pretty good size and a small GBB) and right now the little guy is in a large cup, its about the size of a sour cream container. nice and tall, plenty of room. when he's large enough that i won't worry about losing him or having him escape (because he escaped a critter carrier in about two minutes) his forever habitat will be a 20x8x9 vivarium (currently it has a host, but that host will be moving out about the same time speedy will be big enough to move in). i wanted to know if thats large enough, and if i could have more than one of them in there? or are they not something that can be kept in groups...

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
Really? I thought the Antilles pink toe was, that's why I was asking. What species of tarantula are communal? I think a tank with three or four in it would be awesome.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really? I thought the Antilles pink toe was, that's why I was asking. What species of tarantula are communal? I think a tank with three or four in it would be awesome.
Just to clear things up, Avicularia versicolor is the Antilles Pink Toe. Avicularia diversipes is the Amazon Sapphire Pink Toe. Avicularia are not communal contrary to what you may read in online caresheets (which are full of bad information). Keeping multiple Avics together usually ends in a massacre. The only other tarantulas that I know of that can be kept communally are M.balfouri and those are an Old World species, which I don't recommend to inexperienced hobbyists. Some people will say Poecilotheria are communal (again, not going to recommend these to a novice due to their speed and very nasty venom), however even pokie communals often end badly.

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
i know the versicolor and diversipes are different, i was told by someone that the vers. were okay, which now i do not believe. i was thinking if one avicularia then maybe all, but i guess its no avicularia! which is fine by me. i've also gotten a lot of contradicting information on the diversipes and would really love some clarification. i know they're arboreal, and like good ventilation. they need maybe 70-80 temp and very little humidity. like, 40%? are there some nice reliable care sheets on here, too? i want a solid source of information on my tarantulas. also, any recommendations on other tarantulas would be nice. i like the avicularia, and might get two more of the tall skinny tanks maybe for a versicolor and something else. they make nice "display tanks"
i also have a curly hair and a gbb (the gbb just molted and it grew a ton!)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't worry about the percentage of humidity. Just keep a water dish filled at all times. That will take care of humidity. Slings can be given a small bottle cap. They won't drown.

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
okay, i have a little folded up paper towel in with the div. because he's got a legspan of 2cm and i honestly cannot get anything in or out of that cup since my only access point is the top. i need him to get bigger so i can use the terrarium with the side screen >.< is the paper towel okay? i was thinking of using a bottle cap but thats bigger than he is...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
okay, i have a little folded up paper towel in with the div. because he's got a legspan of 2cm and i honestly cannot get anything in or out of that cup since my only access point is the top. i need him to get bigger so i can use the terrarium with the side screen >.< is the paper towel okay? i was thinking of using a bottle cap but thats bigger than he is...
Paper towels are a good source for mold and bacteria. The bottle will be fine, even if it is bigger than the sling. Like I said it won't drown.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I usually just use a catch cup and paintbrush to guide the tarantula in.

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
paintbrush! thats a good idea. i was worried about squishing him. thank you! about how large should he be when i move him into the big tall terrarium? 2-3"?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
paintbrush! thats a good idea. i was worried about squishing him. thank you! about how large should he be when i move him into the big tall terrarium? 2-3"?
I have heard that a paintbrush is less likely to startle a tarantula and cause it to bolt versus using tongs or a ruler or something. I'd say 2 to 3 inches is a good size to where you can move it into the other terrarium. A.diversipes isn't terribly fast-growing, especially if it's a female, so you've got plenty of time.

Could we possibly see a picture of the terrarium you're planning on using too when you get a chance?

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
i was sold this guy with very very very incorrect information so i'm glad that i haven't messed things up too bad. will he eat mealworms?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i was sold this guy with very very very incorrect information so i'm glad that i haven't messed things up too bad. will he eat mealworms?
Probably although you won't know until you try. I've had a few species refuse mealworms and superworms, in which case I just fed those individuals exclusively crickets. Some individuals can just be picky. Depending on the size of the prey item, you can either use live or prekilled.

Also, don't worry too much about it staying near the lid. Mine is always at the top of it's enclosure, but once they settle in a bit and start webbing, they usually are less likely to run out of the container when startled, and normally just run into their webs and hide.

uploadfromtaptalk1440191720153.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1440191773477.jpg

Latest posts