• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeper Post day 59 what I’m keeping and what I have learned as a keeper….

ryanm7277

I know have mysel quite the little collective. So far I have 2 Avicularia Avicularia, 2 Aphonopelma Semani, 2 Titlocagl Abopolosus, the first wave. We have had 2 molts so far out this bunch. Sadly due to poor shipping, two got out of their cups and had a battle and sadly one lost a leg because of this. Most of them have names all except one of the Avicularia have eaten, but that little guy just molted so I am hoping will take the meal offering this round of feeding finally.

In the second wave we have Brachypelma Hamori,Brachypelma Klassi, Brachypelma Boehmei, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, grammostola pulchripes, caribena versicolor, lasiodora parahybana, the second wave. Out of all of these 2 have molted and the little g pulchripes is in his burrow all closed up, so I beleive we are entering into a moot cycle. All of these guys have eaten and seem to be doing well as of now and have settled well into their enclosures,

In the third wave we have adult female thrixopelma longicolli(Homoeomma sp blue 2) thrixopelma cajamarca, and 2 Homoeomma Peruvianum. These have all eaten and are doing well. Settle into enclosures and are really small slings. Hopefully I will be able to provide the care they need to make it to adult hood.

In the fourth wave, we have a hapalopus sp 'guerilla', Neischnocolus sp. Panama, and a pseudohapolopus so columbi, and guyruita cerrado. All have been eating and doing well. The g cerrado was a freebie and I haven’t really found anything out about this tiny little sling. It made a cute burrow/hide and I never see it, but the little crickets I put in disappear, so it’s eating.

In the faith and final wave we have a grammostola rosea, Euathlus smargd, annothoscurria geniculata, and a nhando chromatus. These guys are settled and are about to get there first feeding with me. They seem to be doing well, the white knee is the biggest of this wave and he gave me a nice threat post, so I will be paying attention and taking extra care with this guy.

So far I have really enjoyed all the care em loved and really enjoy having these crazy kids in my life. I find them rather relaxing. Luckily so far I haven’t had any bad experiences. No escapes. No threat poses, Except for the geniculata. Luckily with the exception of the one a Semani that lost a leg probably because of the bad transit experience everyone and I have been thriving and doing well. I want them all to be their wonderful adult selves immediately.

Sling care so far has been pretty easy, I haven’t had any problems or mishaps. Other than having to do some enclosures because I foolishly tried using straight tip soil, which I don’t beleive is suitable with out mixing other things in it. I have made all my enclosures using reptisoil mixed with coco fiber. I had one instance of mold, but that was so to a decaying in eaten cricket.

I have fed super worms, horn worms, small crickets, 1” crickets, and meal worms. The only one I have had problems feeding thus far has been 1 avicularia who has finally molted and the caribena versicolor who is in an upside down delicup and has webbed up the hide. I try to put the worms in the entrance of the sock and it has taken the pray. For the slings I have prekilling the crickets and placing them in their enclosure as close to them as possible with out disturbing them or their hide/burrow.

Now that winter is coming, I am putting a space heater in my office to hopefully keep the room a little warmer for the babies/slings. While I believe I don’t need anymore spiders, I do really want a Paraphysa scrofa and a pseudohapolopus or minis and a Brachypelma Auratum and at some point I really hope to find a Homoeomma Chilensis female(). With the exception of these and three or four other new worlds that might get ordered I have begun checking out the old worlds. I am gonna try not to order these guys as I currently have my hands full with the care of my current brood.

Things I have learned thus far as a keeper:
Don’t use top soul by itself.
Make sure to wash ur hands after messing about in an enclosure.
Wash all surfaces and the outsides of all enclosure as there maybe urticating hairs on it and they will make you itchy.
Spiders even though sometimes appear to move slowly, can be very fast.
The tiniest vibration can spook them.
They can and will quickly run upside down onto a lid and out onto you, don’t react and calmly wait for them to settle down.
Avicularia and even slings can and will sometimes jump.
Feeders require care and husbandry too.

The last and final thing is, name changes, soecies changes sometimes make researching care and temperament hard. While some people say one thing care and husbandry sheets may say another. While researching Paraphysa Scrofa I have found pics, also that it’s named changed to Phrixotrichus scrofa, possibly even Euathlus Scrofa. Even between sellers, you will find their information might be different from another, when dealing with rarer, less common species. For example, Tom Moran did a video on his Homoeomma sp blue 2, which could be or maybe thrixopelma longicolli. When trying to purchase this particular species I discovered how unreliable or rather hard it is to find something particular. Sellers really only know what their suppliers tell them. One seller had Homoeomma so blue 2 but I swear it is a Euathlus trucelentis, the other has 3-4 of similar looking species. So while I did purchase a (enter name here) there is no guarantee you have what they said you have. The only way to really know the actual species you have is to investigate the pedipalps of a matured male or the spermathica of the female. The only gurantee is there is no guarantee. This isn’t a nasty comment, just an observation of a new keeper. Sorry for rambling about my frustrations.

I have also learned, if I lived in Europe I would have 4x as many Ts in my collection for what the us prices are vs the rest of the world.

Brown boxing is a crime and you can get fined, arrested and have your spiders confiscated.

Thanks for reading, and if you want to share any pics, care tips or experiences you have had with any of the species mentioned in this post please feel free to comment and remark. Thanks so much.