• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keep crickets alive like this is possible?

Flafex

Hi guys, after a long time planing finally I gonna get my very first Tarantula, and I have a question bout keeping crickets alive, impossible keep like just about 6 crickets in a proper place, without breeding ? how long they will survive? I don't wanna keep lots of crickets just for 1 tarantula, so my plan is go buy food about every 2 months.

Colorado Ts

A cricket's life cycle is about 7 to 8 weeks in length, based upon average ambient room temperatures.

So if you buy small crickets, they will mature over a 5 to 6 week period. If you buy large crickets, you will have them about 14 to 20 days before they mature complete their life cycle.

I have a small plastic tub that I bought at WalMart for about $2.00 +/-. I took an egg crate for a dozen eggs and cut it into 3 sections to serve as habitat and provide surface area for the crickets, and I use water bottle caps for food and water containers. I use water crystals as a water source and for food I feed flake fishfood and milled non-medicated Chick Feed. I used to put carrots and lettuce in with the crickets, but I've never seen strong evidence that the crickets feed appreciably on fresh foods.

Along with my adults, I keep a small group of 5 GBB slings, an G. pulchripes sling and L. parahybana sling. I buy a couple dozen small crickets once a month. I feed the slings twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The slings are kept inside a wooden cabinet. I regulate the temperature of the cabinet to 79 degrees F; by maintaining this temperature, the slings metabolic rates are elevated allowing them to increase size at a faster rate. Once the slings get to the 2" to 2.5" range, they are moved into a larger enclosure and are moved from the cabinet into the general room.

Last edited:

Flafex

A cricket's life cycle is about 7 to 8 weeks in length, based upon average ambient room temperatures.

So if you buy small crickets, they will mature over a 5 to 6 week period. If you buy large crickets, you will have them about 14 to 20 days before they mature complete their life cycle.

I have a small plastic tub that I bought at WalMart for about $2.00 +/-. I took an egg crate for a dozen eggs and cut it into 3 sections to serve as habitat and provide surface area for the crickets, and I use water bottle caps for food and water containers. I use water crystals as a water source and for food I feed flake fishfood and milled non-medicated Chick Feed. I used to put carrots and lettuce in with the crickets, but I've never seen strong evidence that the crickets feed appreciably on fresh foods.

Along with my adults, I keep a small group of 5 GBB slings, an G. pulchripes sling and L. parahybana sling. I buy a couple dozen small crickets once a month. I feed the slings twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The slings are kept inside a wooden cabinet. I regulate the temperature of the cabinet to 79 degrees F; by maintaining this temperature, the slings metabolic rates are elevated allowing them to increase size at a faster rate. Once the slings get to the 2" to 2.5" range, they are moved into a larger enclosure and are moved from the cabinet into the general room.
Thank you, that helped a lot!

Colorado Ts

Update: I've completely switched from crickets to raising B. lateralis roaches & B. dubia roaches. My collection of tarantulas has grown appreciably, and...let's face it...crickets do have an odor, a very noticeable ODOR.

I've found that roaches:

Are very easy to raise in colonies
Once the colony is established, they are very productive
Compared to breeding/keeping crickets, roaches are so simple and easy
There is a nice market for the excess roach production
The odor of roaches is much lower than the odor of crickets.
B. lateralis roaches have a larger range of sizes, from teeny tiny to adult, making them wonderful for tiny slings.
Sorting roaches by size is uber easy once you get a sieve system in place.

Bye, bye, crickets...hello roaches.

Latest posts