• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kayak fishing

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm recently getting back into it, I used my brothers kayak sunday, fixing to get myself another one. I'm leaning towards the Big Fish 120 or the Nucanoe Frontier 10. The ten will be faster but the 120 is wide and easy to stand up in. I fish mainly in Copano bay, but I'm going to try out freshwater for awhile. It has nothing to do with watching this video at all

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I decided on the rs117, from Bonafide. It started raining right after I pulled away from the shop, and has rained both of my days off since then.:mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!!heres a stock pic from the internet.
images.jpeg

I work til thurs, but Friday its party time!! I intend to find a few of the notoriously shy alligators we have in Calaveras and Braunig lake. Im respectfull of them, but gators dont scare me like sharks do. There's only two things in this world that scare me. Sharks, and women. And sharkwomen..

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
There's only two things in this world that scare me. Sharks, and women. And sharkwomen..

That is three things...

Why are you scared of sharks? They are just big fish. Crocodilians are much more dangerous to people in the areas where the big ones occur. I practically grew up swimming with sharks in the Pacific here, but there is no way you'd get me in the water in Nile croc or salty territory. American alligators are like puppies. Easy peasy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is three things...

Why are you scared of sharks? They are just big fish. Crocodilians are much more dangerous to people in the areas where the big ones occur. I practically grew up swimming with sharks in the Pacific here, but there is no way you'd get me in the water in Nile croc or salty territory. American alligators are like puppies. Easy peasy.
Lol, yeah, just big fish...maybe Jaws scarred me as a child, but they set off all my alarm bells. I think its about being in their element..loss of some control...And I wouldn't get anywhere near a salty in a kayak. I'm still wary of the American puppy alligator..after all, the big ones do kill people. It's rare, but not unheard of. Death by shark is not so rare. So in answer to your question.. Unfamiliarity with them, being in their element, and the fact that they can murder you, I suppose. :)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My mother let me watch jaws when I was a kid. HUGE mistake. That movie wrecked me. Been phobic ever since, but I still scuba and free dive. I just won't be the first one in the water, and I won't go in a swimming pool alone. That James Bond flick with the little door that opens and the sharks come out wrecked that one for me. I've done shark dives and kept sharks in aquariums before too. Doesn't bother me a bit, but I'll never be the first one off the boat. I've raised alligators and worked with them for years. Just big dumb lizards.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Over here in my area people have caught monster catfish. My uncle does a lot of kayak fishing.
My mother let me watch jaws when I was a kid. HUGE mistake. That movie wrecked me. Been phobic ever since, but I still scuba and free dive. I just won't be the first one in the water, and I won't go in a swimming pool alone. That James Bond flick with the little door that opens and the sharks come out wrecked that one for me. I've done shark dives and kept sharks in aquariums before too. Doesn't bother me a bit, but I'll never be the first one off the boat. I've raised alligators and worked with them for years. Just big dumb lizards.
While most likely find it horrible, I really enjoyed the meg. I have never watched one movie in the Jaws franchise.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You kept alligators too? I've always been kind of interested in them. I'm planning to try to find some, take some pictures. Gators may be dumb, but I get the impression sharks are just mindless eating machines. There doesnt seem to be much intelligence there at all..like if you cut a zombie's head off in a movie, the mouth keeps trying to bite. Thats very sharkish, to me. All teeth and appetite, no reason. Im sure im just acting like arachnophobes do about spiders, but I dont care, **** those things..

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
You kept alligators too? I've always been kind of interested in them. I'm planning to try to find some, take some pictures. Gators may be dumb, but I get the impression sharks are just mindless eating machines. There doesnt seem to be much intelligence there at all..like if you cut a zombie's head off in a movie, the mouth keeps trying to bite. Thats very sharkish, to me. All teeth and appetite, no reason. Im sure im just acting like arachnophobes do about spiders, but I dont care, **** those things..
Sharks, fish, gators, spiders... Yep. All of them are pretty much working on instinctual responses to the world around them. There is still some individual "personality" though. Some gators are super tame while others are very aggressive. Same with sharks. There is a guy in the Farallon Islands that dives for urchins with a hookah rig. The same giant great white sharks come back the the region seasonally every year. He knows them all as individuals. Most of them just go about their business while he goes about his. There are a couple of them though that when he sees them, he gets out of the water.

Gray reef sharks in the Atlantic can be territorial and will do an exaggerated swimming threat display with their pectoral fins pointing downward to warn you off before tagging you. Same species in the Pacific, totally docile and not territorial at all. You can swim right up to them and they'll just move away.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sharks, fish, gators, spiders... Yep. All of them are pretty much working on instinctual responses to the world around them. There is still some individual "personality" though. Some gators are super tame while others are very aggressive. Same with sharks. There is a guy in the Farallon Islands that dives for urchins with a hookah rig. The same giant great white sharks come back the the region seasonally every year. He knows them all as individuals. Most of them just go about their business while he goes about his. There are a couple of them though that when he sees them, he gets out of the water.

Gray reef sharks in the Atlantic can be territorial and will do an exaggerated swimming threat display with their pectoral fins pointing downward to warn you off before tagging you. Same species in the Pacific, totally docile and not territorial at all. You can swim right up to them and they'll just move away.
No sir, YOU can swim right up to them. :D I'll fire a harpoon, from a distance. Thats interesting. Perhaps if I learned more, I wouldn't be so afraid of them.

HAHAHAHAHA, NO o_O

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Thats interesting. Perhaps if I learned more, I wouldn't be so afraid of them.

I think this is what motivated me to study them. Jaws got me terrified of them, and my reaction was to study them and learn everything I possibly could about them. Before I realized it didn't pay, I was on a path to become an Ichthyologist. Aced all of my oceanography and marine biology classes. Figured I live on a boat and wear flip flops my whole life and be poor but happy.

Then I discovered the movie business. Free food. Free world travel. Good pay for playing with animals. Good benefits. Can't beat it.

This thread reminded me... Time to plan another kayaking trip. Some friends and I start at one end of Catalina and paddle down to the other end over the course of a few days, camping on empty beaches the whole way. We usually have a line in the water as we paddle catching mostly calico bass. I frequently pop on the mask and snorkel and flop over the side for a dip in the cool water and a look-see.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 3

Latest posts