• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile GBB

Jo14

Hi not sure if this one is to young to sex yet. First moult whilst we have had her.
@Phil back again with the moult from the gbb that we got from you.
She looks amazing now she has moulted, so shiny.

Attachments

• 20190326_000903.jpg
    20190326_000903.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190326_000811.jpg
    20190326_000811.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86

Jo14

I am rubbish at this I thought this was a boy. What makes it a young female please. I will learn eventually lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, I could have sworn this one was Male as no flap.
I have a lot to learn yet lol
http://milehighbugclub.com/Methods for Sexing Tarantulas.htm
This is a pretty good link that may help.
I was also given the following advice many moons ago...

The females will have a tiny flap between the top 2 book lungs.called the epigastric furrow. If you have a needle or tweezers you can actually lift this flap up gently. If it is flat and smooth, it's a male.

Ventral sexing (Not as accurate)
Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs.
Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together.

Also, usually in males there will appear to be a "belly button" between the top two book lungs and in females there appears to be a set of "lips" between the top two book lungs (exuvium area).

Jo14

Oh thanks, I suppose experience will help as well with the more I see.
The red knee had a big flap that was clear to see. This one has no flap I had a ****tail stick and couldn't lift anything up it was smooth which made me think Male. It doesn't really matter with any of them as I am not going to breed them. It's only curiosity.
Thanks for the info.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh thanks, I suppose experience will help as well with the more I see.
The red knee had a big flap that was clear to see. This one has no flap I had a ****tail stick and couldn't lift anything up it was smooth which made me think Male. It doesn't really matter with any of them as I am not going to breed them. It's only curiosity.
Thanks for the info.
Maybe the next moult will be be a better indicator then (one way or the other...LOL)