• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just found out I have a Augacephalus ezendami

Thistles

3 Year Member
That's pretty different, lol. They burrow, so give it deep substrate. You can keep them dry but provide a water dish. They have seasonal rainy seasons which help with breeding but it isn't necessary to replicate that just to keep them.

Basically keep it like you would have kept the other, but dry instead of damp. I assumed here that your specimen is an adult. If it's a sling, keep it damp. Slings are very delicate in my experience =(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's pretty different, lol. They burrow, so give it deep substrate. You can keep them dry but provide a water dish. They have seasonal rainy seasons which help with breeding but it isn't necessary to replicate that just to keep them.

Basically keep it like you would have kept the other, but dry instead of damp. I assumed here that your specimen is an adult. If it's a sling, keep it damp. Slings are very delicate in my experience =(
think it was someone here, or i read it somewhere, most T's don't grow their "waterproofing" until their 4th or 5th molt, if i recall correctly. Since i don't know when that is ;) I've kept all my slings in moist substrate until they're about 1.5 to 2" dls and start to leave their burrows more than they're in them.

smc85

3 Year Member
Well it looks like it could be 4" but not sure bigger then all my other tarantulas because they're all slings but I have to buy another enclosure because one I got looks small now that I have to add more substrate

smc85

3 Year Member
IMG_20170604_151932054.jpg

Thistles

3 Year Member
think it was someone here, or i read it somewhere, most T's don't grow their "waterproofing" until their 4th or 5th molt, if i recall correctly. Since i don't know when that is ;) I've kept all my slings in moist substrate until they're about 1.5 to 2" dls and start to leave their burrows more than they're in them.

Yes, they don't grow their cuticle for a while. Usually once they start to get their adult colors the cuticle is developed enough. I was referring specifically to Augacephalus spiderlings, but I wasn't clear.

That's an adult female. Give her more to burrow in, because you won't ever have to rehouse her. The substrate is damper than I keep mine, but it will dry out. Just don't keep her soggy all the time.

smc85

3 Year Member
Female how could you tell I will pick something up when I get in town I will get a bin from Walmart what's a good size any measurements you can give me are they mean for old world species

Thistles

3 Year Member
Female how could you tell I will pick something up when I get in town I will get a bin from Walmart what's a good size any measurements you can give me are they mean for old world species
I wouldn't handle her, but for OW they're not bad. They go in their burrows when you open the enclosure. The only time I ever got a threat pose was when I was pulling a sac. I can't blame a mom for protecting her kids.

Males of this species are very small. By 4" it should have matured. Also, that ventral pic you posted looks female.

Mine are in 2.5 gallon tanks, but you could also use a sterilite tub as long as there's enough room to burrow. Most of the sterilites I see are kind of shallow, so they're better for terrestrials rather than burrowers. I think there are some deeper ones at Target, but I really don't know. I don't use tupperware for my adults. A large KK would work just fine, though. Oh, what you could use in a pinch at Walmart are those big jugs or cereal containers. Those work great and allow a lot of substrate, but once she's in there you won't be able to get her out without ruining her home. That would be a permanent move.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Ok thanks a lot for your help sucks because now I have to re house her and won't see her
You'll see her. Mine sit at the mouths of their burrows all the time. They just head for the hills when they're disturbed, so they're hard to get out without ruining their enclosures.

A "Thai tiger" would do the same thing.

smc85

3 Year Member
Oh so I think the one I have is fine if she doesn't look stressed I don't think I should rehouse her I'll see because when I got her she was stressed didn't even move till I put her in the enclosure she is in now with the Cork bark as a hide

Thistles

3 Year Member
Wow, yeah, that's a palace! You can give her a lot more substrate, though. Fill that bad boy up to that line and let her go to town digging a nice burrow!

smc85

3 Year Member
Ok another question about this species from the picture I posted do you think she is capable of taking down an adult dubia because I have babies going but not a size for it any advice

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
depends on the T itself. Usually you'll want to feed it prey that is the size of the abdomen or smaller. Or a few prey items that will roughly add up to the size of the abdomen.