• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just a curious question

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Should I create a YouTube channel or not?

I figured I would ask in this subforum, as this is somewhat off topic, plus I have a few tarantula related projects I plan on starting in the next few months.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
If I do, what would you all like to see?
I wanna see how many times you can tap your finger on an OBT web until you get tagged!!!

Kidding. One of the funnest things for me is feeding my tarantulas. It may not be the most original thing, but I enjoy watching people's feeding videos. Some commentary is okay, but for some YouTubers, I just mute it. I also enjoy "How-To" videos and rehousing videos. One thing that has been very beneficial to me is watching videos of re-housing and learning some generalities about how each species behaves and moves. The aforementioned OBT video is one example. I got to see how they threaten and slap, and then I got to see just how quickly they can close a short gap and get in a bite. That was good to see on YouTube instead having my own new OBT demonstrate on my own finger. I didn't realize how jerky and spastic N. chromatus could be until I saw it on YT, and after having seen it, I'm better equipped and prepared to manage mine. Same with P. irminia. Just seeing all of them moved from one enclosure to the next and how people move them has taught me a lot.

In short, I wanna see videos of your tarantulas eating, walking, moving, doing their thing, breeding, and being re-housed. I'm an eager student of all things tarantula. I'd like to see whatever you want to teach me. How do you do things? What tools do you use? What substrate and supplies do you typically use? How can I be a better tarantula keeper? What sizes and types of enclosures do you prefer for the different sizes of tarantulas and why?

I also don't usually like 20 minute videos. Sometimes a title will interest me, and then I see that its a 15 or 20 minute video. Well the title given is not a 20 minute subject, so I usually skip those. "OBT Bite" 22:43. No thank you. A video with that title shouldn't be more than 2 minutes. I'd rather you did several 3-4 minute videos and stay on the topic in the title, than combine 5 subjects into one long video. In summary, I like truth in advertising. Click bait is annoying.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with all comments above and particularly Toms' remarks about length but with another reason added, Internet access is expensive here so there are usually allowances or limits which once reached means either no access or dumfoundingly exorbitant charges imposed. Therefore I really don't like using most of my allowance trying to find the two minutes of actual information or entertainment in a 20 minute video. One night on YouTube can use as much data as would be used in a weeks worth of forums, research, eBay, emails etc etc so I like concise videos, even if they are an installment in a 5 part series totalling more than 20 minutes.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wanna see how many times you can tap your finger on an OBT web until you get tagged!!!

Kidding. One of the funnest things for me is feeding my tarantulas. It may not be the most original thing, but I enjoy watching people's feeding videos. Some commentary is okay, but for some YouTubers, I just mute it. I also enjoy "How-To" videos and rehousing videos. One thing that has been very beneficial to me is watching videos of re-housing and learning some generalities about how each species behaves and moves. The aforementioned OBT video is one example. I got to see how they threaten and slap, and then I got to see just how quickly they can close a short gap and get in a bite. That was good to see on YouTube instead having my own new OBT demonstrate on my own finger. I didn't realize how jerky and spastic N. chromatus could be until I saw it on YT, and after having seen it, I'm better equipped and prepared to manage mine. Same with P. irminia. Just seeing all of them moved from one enclosure to the next and how people move them has taught me a lot.

In short, I wanna see videos of your tarantulas eating, walking, moving, doing their thing, breeding, and being re-housed. I'm an eager student of all things tarantula. I'd like to see whatever you want to teach me. How do you do things? What tools do you use? What substrate and supplies do you typically use? How can I be a better tarantula keeper? What sizes and types of enclosures do you prefer for the different sizes of tarantulas and why?

I also don't usually like 20 minute videos. Sometimes a title will interest me, and then I see that its a 15 or 20 minute video. Well the title given is not a 20 minute subject, so I usually skip those. "OBT Bite" 22:43. No thank you. A video with that title shouldn't be more than 2 minutes. I'd rather you did several 3-4 minute videos and stay on the topic in the title, than combine 5 subjects into one long video. In summary, I like truth in advertising. Click bait is annoying.

That is actually my plan for the most part.
I agree with all comments above and particularly Toms' remarks about length but with another reason added, Internet access is expensive here so there are usually allowances or limits which once reached means either no access or dumfoundingly exorbitant charges imposed. Therefore I really don't like using most of my allowance trying to find the two minutes of actual information or entertainment in a 20 minute video. One night on YouTube can use as much data as would be used in a weeks worth of forums, research, eBay, emails etc etc so I like concise videos, even if they are an installment in a 5 part series totalling more than 20 minutes.
Wow, that is ridiculous, why charge do companies charge so much in your area.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
ZanySnappyCanvasback.gif

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do it do it do it !!

Don't you know that tarantulas simply must be filmed and shared with other hobbyists in order to survive!! ;)
Already decided two weeks ago, that I would officially create a channel once I added to my collection again. Early next week is when I'll create a channel. What better way to start a tarantula based YouTube channel than with an unboxing video.

Latest posts