• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping spider layed eggs. Can I save her?

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
I got a zebra jumping spider, just 3 days ago. Last night she dug a little hole and started webbing it up, today I see some egg sacs in there. I know they close themselves inside and guard the eggs until they die. I don’t want her to die. What actually kills her, does she starve to death? Is it just laying the eggs? I’m thinking if it’s not simply laying the eggs maybe I could take her eggs and she’d be ok?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I had a Regal Jumping spider for a while and just after I got her she laid an egg sac. I found she wouldn't eat until the eggs hatched then she'd eat. Once the little ones began to emerge I removed them and housed them separately. A few weeks later she laid another sac and it all began again, then again a 3rd time. All in all she produced 170+ babies that emerged, sadly not many survived but that is why they have so many. She died just after the 3rd egg sac slings emerged.
I blamed it on the strain of having so many so quickly.
Maybe if you remove the sac and any others she lays she may survive longer but who knows.

Latest posts