• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's official, I'm an addict!

Don't judge me, I couldn't help myself!
I saw these beauties for sale on the So Many Legs website & I just had to have them. Luckily, I don't live a million miles away from them and I offered to pick them up because of the bad weather recently. Andy Ormes is a really nice guy, and it was a pleasure to meet him and spend some time talking to him. He even refunded my postage costs and threw in a freebie too.
So, to the new furry children. I bought a juvenile Thrixopelma Ockerti that's about 2 inches. Such a sweet little thing that gave me the butt in the air threat posture and tried firing off a few hairs to boot. I got a 1.5 inch Brachypelma Boehmei that has since filled the entrance to it's hide with substrate and blocked it completely. Does this mean it's going to molt or is it just being unsociable? I got a 1.5 inch Tete colour form OBT that was surprisingly calm during it's rehouse. We'll see how that goes as it starts to grow! And the freebie I got was a 0.5 inch Orphnaecus sp Negros. The internet seems to be somewhat lacking on husbandry tips for this species, does anyone have any useful tips?
Some of the photos aren't great, but I don't pretend to be a great photographer.

IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I saw these beauties for sale on the So Many Legs website & I just had to have them. Luckily, I don't live a million miles away from them and I offered to pick them up because of the bad weather recently. Andy Ormes is a really nice guy, and it was a pleasure to meet him and spend some time talking to him. He even refunded my postage costs and threw in a freebie too.
So, to the new furry children. I bought a juvenile Thrixopelma Ockerti that's about 2 inches. Such a sweet little thing that gave me the butt in the air threat posture and tried firing off a few hairs to boot. I got a 1.5 inch Brachypelma Boehmei that has since filled the entrance to it's hide with substrate and blocked it completely. Does this mean it's going to molt or is it just being unsociable? I got a 1.5 inch Tete colour form OBT that was surprisingly calm during it's rehouse. We'll see how that goes as it starts to grow! And the freebie I got was a 0.5 inch Orphnaecus sp Negros. The internet seems to be somewhat lacking on husbandry tips for this species, does anyone have any useful tips?
Some of the photos aren't great, but I don't pretend to be a great photographer.

View attachment 35197 View attachment 35198 View attachment 35199 View attachment 35200 View attachment 35201 View attachment 35202 View attachment 35203 View attachment 35204 View attachment 35205 View attachment 35206
Congratulations on your new babies!:)
nice little collection you have got yourself there-I love Thrixopelma Ockerti's they have got character that's for sure! and are very prone to fire off hairs,i love the way they slink around:)
cant help with the Orphanaecus sp negros as ive never kept them before-I'm sure other members will be able to help-I wouldn't be surprised if @Enn49 has one in her collection!:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
cant help with the Orphanaecus sp negros as ive never kept them before-I'm sure other members will be able to help-I wouldn't be surprised if @Enn49 has one in her collection!:)

I do indeed, in fact I have 2. I keep mine on dry coco fibre and one has burrowed but the other stays in the open. They both eat well and don't seem particularly shy or skittish. The photo below is of Bais, the 1 that stays out, and I lifted the container down removed the lid and took the picture with only a twitch of 2 legs. They're both just about 1.5" dls (they can grow to 3") and 4th/5th instar. They've both moulted once in the 8 months I've had them.
DSCF8679 (2).JPG

I do indeed, in fact I have 2. I keep mine on dry coco fibre and one has burrowed but the other stays in the open. They both eat well and don't seem particularly shy or skittish. The photo below is of Bais, the 1 that stays out, and I lifted the container down removed the lid and took the picture with only a twitch of 2 legs. They're both just about 1.5" dls (they can grow to 3") and 4th/5th instar. They've both moulted once in the 8 months I've had them.
View attachment 35215
Thanks, great photo. Looks like I’ve got a while before mine gets anywhere near that size then. I got mine in a sling pot with about 1 inch of substrate, and I dug a little starter burrow in one side just in case, but it hasn’t used it yet. For water, I just moistened one part of the substrate as there’s not really room for a water dish at the moment. Will that be ok?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks, great photo. Looks like I’ve got a while before mine gets anywhere near that size then. I got mine in a sling pot with about 1 inch of substrate, and I dug a little starter burrow in one side just in case, but it hasn’t used it yet. For water, I just moistened one part of the substrate as there’s not really room for a water dish at the moment. Will that be ok?

That'll be fine. I think you'll find they grow more quickly when they small

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

View attachment 35197 View attachment 35198 View attachment 35199 View attachment 35200 View attachment 35201 View attachment 35202 View attachment 35203 View attachment 35204 View attachment 35205 View attachment 35206

Photoshop Express is a very nice powerful photo editor that will run right on your cell phone if that's what you use for pictures.

It'll lighten up slightly under exposed pics so you won't ever even know it happened. It also clarifies and sharpens up pics very well and has a zillion modes, adjustments and filters. In fact, there's way more then you'll ever use in a lifetime.

Inshot is a decent video editor. The pro edition is fairly affordable. By far the best video editor is Videoshow. Yes, the pro edition is a little pricey, about $30 if memory serves, but the speed and quality output makes it worth every penny.

My movie isn't too shabby either. The pro edition lets your remove the small watermark, pretty cheap as well.

---

Psssstt, H pulchripes is absolutely stunning and fairly hardy. Both sexes have the exact same coloration but differ in build and body size until the males hook out. There are also other species in the Harpactira genus as well. They are a dry spider. Just give it a decent amount of substrate and set it up just like a Brachyopelma or a G rosea.

They sure don't ACT like any of those however, very skittish but not a mean spider that likes to make a small burrow under a hide.

Any Pamphobeteous species, for example P sp machala, is also impressive but strongly sexually dimorphic. They are a moist spider that requires just a little bit of extra humidity and a somewhat larger then normal sized waterdish.

Tnoob

but more fun....LOL
Yeah, with over 1004 species current listed on tarantulapedia.com. Yep, I've got a lot to learn. I got barely two hours of sleep because I was all super interested about watching my H. pulchripes web up it's enclosure. I hope it molts soon, but I feel like that's unlikely at this point. they both where fed yesturday. I am thinking about maybe feed twice a week if possible. My OBT is so tiny. maybe about the size of a nickel.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, with over 1004 species current listed on tarantulapedia.com. Yep, I've got a lot to learn. I got barely two hours of sleep because I was all super interested about watching my H. pulchripes web up it's enclosure. I hope it molts soon, but I feel like that's unlikely at this point. they both where fed yesturday. I am thinking about maybe feed twice a week if possible. My OBT is so tiny. maybe about the size of a nickel.
I usually feed my slings/juvies twice a week and the Adults once a week but even that is usually not necessary
I always try to feed live prey rather than pre killed (they are hunters not scavengers) and general rule of thumb is not to offer prey that is larger than the abdomen so as the spider grows, as does the size of the prey..

Tnoob

I usually feed my slings/juvies twice a week and the Adults once a week but even that is usually not necessary
I always try to feed live prey rather than pre killed (they are hunters not scavengers) and general rule of thumb is not to offer prey that is larger than the abdomen so as the spider grows, as does the size of the prey..
I didn't have much of a choice last night. the only cricket still alive after I messed up, and let my cat get to them on accident. I felt, bad, but it didn't take long. I wrote a pretty lengthy diatribe on it the general section if you want the TL;DR.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, dude I would if I could. I found a salmon pink bird eater (my favorite bird eater). It took all my will power not to run out with them and the carabena versicolor.
both awesome spiders. I bet you are regretting not getting them aren't you? LOL
Just to make you feel even worse.....ha ha
20181209_182444.jpg
20181216_131150.jpg
Sorry....the devil made me do it! ha ha