• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's been quiet

Kuuvang

Ever since i got my first T, she been in this dormant state for awhile. About a month now. The curly hair tarantula refuse to eat a week before her dormant state. She been in a very quiet and dark place in my closet.

I took advice before to wait and just refill her water dish whenever it gets low. Idk, little worried since it been a month? Kinda of shocking to me, since I just got her as a first T.

Attachments

• 20190705_234914.jpg
    20190705_234914.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 59

Nunua

3 Year Member
This is one of the reasons why most of us get several tarantulas :D Older (than sling state) individuals like yours could stay hidden for several months before emerging again. Tarantulas teach us a bunch of patience, especially when in premolt.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yep probably moulting.

Is she a juvenile? I can't tell her size from your pictures (I suspect juvenile/sub adult cos she seems small), but if she is a mature female and there is any possibility she could have mated prior - then in that instance, you may want to shine a torch in there without causing her too much disturbance, just to confirm she doesnt have an egg sack.

Kuuvang

Here photo,

The previous owner told me she is 13 months old. She been in the den, but I'll shine a light in to see if she has a egg sack. Idk if the previous owner did any breeding, but he did have a male for sale too. Pretty sure she is still too young.

Attachments

• 20190624_123330.jpg
    20190624_123330.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190624_122141.jpg
    20190624_122141.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 28

Kuuvang

Update:
So my curly hair tarantula got done molting. But still remains in the den. The den is cover up with coco fiber and web. It has been a week now after she got done molting. Should I just wait until she comes out. I do have a water dish but she has been in this molt stage for about a month + week.

"I got a curly hair sling at the reptile expo", it is also in the molting process. Only feed it like 3 times.

Tnoob

I'd get the molt out, as I've seen myself that the remains of insects can cause mold. Might not be true for everyone, your mileage may very. You probably don't need to rush that.

Kuuvang

The only thing that is preventing me from picking out the molt is the thick webbing wall that is cover the entrance. I'm afraid it may stress out tarantula if I completely destroy it.

Tnoob

The only thing that is preventing me from picking out the molt is the thick webbing wall that is cover the entrance. I'm afraid it may stress out tarantula if I completely destroy it.
That's not a bad idea. You will know when it's ready to come out. My OBT jumped out when it was ready and did a victory lap around the enclosure when it was done.

Kuuvang

That's not a bad idea. You will know when it's ready to come out. My OBT jumped out when it was ready and did a victory lap around the enclosure when it was done.

Im getting the message that you want me to open the den LMAO jk

That seems likes a jump scare to remember! X'D

I seriously don't know if I should come the den up, or just wait until it comes out on it's own. Still new to this tarantula keeping lol

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

I'd wait for her to come out. She will when ready. I'd leave it another week and then put a feeder in the enclosure (crush the head) and if not touched, remove after 12 hrs. Then try again in about 3 days. Fingers crossed she'll be hungry by then.
Going from what others have posted on here, it's not unusual for them to seal themselves in their burrows like this for long amounts of time.

I wouldn't worry about removing the moult yet. She may kick it out of there herself, by taking out her own trash. Or when she unseals the burrow, you can get it.

Tnoob

I'd wait for her to come out. She will when ready. I'd leave it another week and then put a feeder in the enclosure (crush the head) and if not touched, remove after 12 hrs. Then try again in about 3 days. Fingers crossed she'll be hungry by then.
Going from what others have posted on here, it's not unusual for them to seal themselves in their burrows like this for long amounts of time.

I wouldn't worry about removing the moult yet. She may kick it out of there herself, by taking out her own trash. Or when she unseals the burrow, you can get it.
All my T's have some area they like to use for garbage disposal. Jess is giving some good information here from what I've read and experienced. I'm also a bit new myself.

nedaK

It is most likely in its den still because it’s exoskeleton is still too soft for it to feel comfortable out in the open. Opening its den would stress it out. How would you feel if a giant Donald Trump tipped the ceiling off of your house?

Tnoob

It is most likely in its den still because it’s exoskeleton is still too soft for it to feel comfortable out in the open. Opening its den would stress it out. How would you feel if a giant Donald Trump tipped the ceiling off of your house?
I'd be like, "aren't you supposed to be building a wall"? Then again, I'm not a spider...

Latest posts